FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Corrupted file - .SMI as usual

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
EX1 Corrupted file - .SMI as usual
on Apr 30, 2008 at 8:50:30 pm

Hi.

Had my first shoot with the EX1 this Monday. And as you may expect I'm having trouble with a file that was written over two cards.

I figured out how those files have to be dealt with. But in the process some data got corrupted. The second part of the file shows as being unavailable in Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer Utility I get:

Exception opening XDCAM EX file (Condition Failure- cannot open /Volumes/DESPAIR/YURA BOYKIV WEDDING/MARK CARD2/BPAV/CLPR/837_0125_01/837_0125_01.MP4)

What's confusing to me is that I was able to import the Incomplete file from the previous card by setting in and out marks, and I can see the footage for the second half in the transfer utility (first half shows as unavailable) but I am not able to do anything with it.

Is there a way for me to get that footage? Can I use anything to read the MP4 file even if I loose the metadata?

Thanks.
Alec.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: EX1 Corrupted file - .SMI as usual
on Apr 30, 2008 at 9:06:37 pm

On the second clip, did you set an in point after the blank part? That's what worked for me.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Apr 30, 2008 at 10:18:35 pm

nope, doesn't help.

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on May 1, 2008 at 7:36:09 pm

I have run into issues with continuous recording to a second card, but solved it by importing the source file from both cards into the transfer utility. That solved what appeared to be a corrupt file problem.

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina"

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on May 1, 2008 at 9:12:56 pm

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're suggesting. Nevertheless, this was a clip from the B-camera and luckily the second cameraman saved his files. What I learned is "not to touch the files with bare hands." I hear Premier Pro handles the MP4's without metadata, so I should install that for backup.

p.s. judging from the names of your programs - you have a fun job :).

Return to posts index

Tim Stotz
on May 16, 2008 at 2:37:47 am

I had a split .smi file acting pesky. I right clicked (or control clicked) on both halves of the split file and used the "retrieve meta-data" option. I have also had files that I thought were acting split up and irreconcilable, and I imported the clips anyway, and found in the folder for the second card that the whole clip was indeed there and in perfect shape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]