FORUMS: list search recent posts

Insufficient Disk Space when importing in XD Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Weinstein
Insufficient Disk Space when importing in XD Transfer
on Apr 29, 2008 at 8:08:14 pm

Hi Everyone:
I'm getting a weird message when trying to import clips using XD Cam Transfer. In preferences, I have the Import Location set for a 1 TB external hard drive. There's tons of space available. Yet, when I try to import clips to that location (or even my desktop or any location, for that matter), it says "Insufficient Disk Space" for import.

What's going on? Someone posted with this same problem back in March, but the solution wasn't posted.

Thanks for any help you can provide...
Sarah Weinstein

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
Re: Insufficient Disk Space when importing in XD Transfer
on Apr 29, 2008 at 9:04:56 pm

I had this problem.

Be sure to use the preferences of XDCam Tranfer, not the preferences of FCP.

If you use the correct preferences and still get the problem, then I hope somebody else can help you.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Canon XH A1
iMac Intel
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 29, 2008 at 9:26:44 pm

HI:
Thanks for your help. Yeah, my preferences in XD Cam Transfer are set to the 1TB drive. So I'm stumped.
Anyone else have an idea? Maybe I've got something in preferences checked I shouldn't have checked?

Thanks for weighing in.
Sarah Weinstein

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:02:09 pm

Try trashing the Sony Transfer Tool preference file and then try the transfer again. The path is: Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences>com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer.plist.

Trash the com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer.plist file, restart Sony Transfer Tool then select the hard drive you want to store the files to within the Sony program. See if that solves it.

-Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:23:19 pm

Hi Don:
It didn't work. Is there anything else you can suggest? I appreciate your help.
Getting this camera and the software up and running has been one difficult problem after another.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:28:17 pm

Are you able to save your files to another hard drive as a test? Just to make sure that the Transfer Tool is working and is able to successfully store the files somewhere. If that works then we can narrow the problem down to an issue with that particular drive. Try saving a couple files to your startup drive then open them in FCP.

Addition: Um, never mind. I just read your first post again and you've already tried this. I actually had the "insufficient disc space" warning come up with my system once or twice but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:43:51 pm

Hi Don:
Yes, everything was importing to the 1TB drive just fine this morning. Then it started giving me the insufficient disk space message. This 1TB drive is brand new (I've only used about 200 GB).

As a test, I went back to Preferences in the XD Transfer program and chose another hard drive and imported a clip just fine. So it's importing clips without a problem.

(Don't know if this is a helpful hint, but when I started the day, my selected import location in Preferences was the Movie file in my computer. A technician had chosen that location. So I switched it to the 1TB drive and imported clips for awhile until it started giving me the Insufficient Disk Space message. Not sure if this makes any difference...)

I'll wait to hear from you...
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:56:05 pm

[Sarah Weinstein] "'ll wait to hear from you..."

Well don't hold your breath or miss meals or anything. I can't remember what I did, if anything, to resolve the problem. I just transferred 4 SxS Pro cards last night to my Mac Pro's internal media RAID without a hiccup. Unless the problem crops up again for me I'm at a loss at the moment.

One thing you can try is to drag one of the card's BPAV folders directly onto your external, then navigate to that copied BPAV folder using the Transfer Tool. When the clips show up within the Transfer Tool window then try importing, using the the same external drive as a destination.

Addition: I just thought of something: Make sure that the card you're trying to import FROM is not selected when you go to do the import. If it is then the Transfer Tool may think that you've selected the card as an import destination. In fact, make sure that everything is deselected beforehand, then highlight an individual clip and choose import.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:16:04 pm

Hi Don:
Miracle of miracles, I figured it out. Here's the thing -- one of the clips I was trying to import was a clip that is incomplete because the camera switched to the next card while I was shooting. So what I did was highlight all the clips EXCEPT for that clip and pressed import and it imported just fine.

Then I tried to import the incomplete clip, and it said Insufficient Disk Space. So, it's that clip that's freaking out the system.

Now, I know you can divide it into subclips, so I'm going to try that and see if it will solve it.
Let me know if you have any good tips along this front, but otherwise, I think I'll be able to work around it.
You are a great help. Thank you.
Sarah Weinstein

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:56:16 pm

[Sarah Weinstein] "Now, I know you can divide it into subclips, so I'm going to try that and see if it will solve it."

OK, so now you need to combine the two clip pieces back together. It's pretty simple. Just make sure that the media from both cards is present in the Transfer tool window. The program will know that both pieces are present so all you need to do now is select the complete clip name (not the 2 pieces) and choose to import the whole thing. Transfer Tool will take care of the rest. If you highlght the complete clipname as well as the 2 pieces, the Transfer Tool will import not only the complete clip but will also import the two pieces as separate clips.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:13:10 pm

Just a wild stab but try running Apple Disk Utility/Repair Disk (not to be confused with Repair Disk Permissions) on the disk.

BTW, this new disk, did you format it when you installed it? It wouldn't be an issue where you intalled a FAT32 or NTFS disk without formating it for Mac?

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on May 6, 2008 at 1:51:37 pm

I had this same exact error message and solved it by updating my XDCAM Transfer software. Somehow I had ver 2.1 and needed 2.5 or whatever the latest was on the Sony website.

Return to posts index

Gerald Smith
on Jan 29, 2009 at 8:33:43 pm

I had the "insufficient space" error with an incomplete clip at the end of a card. The solution was to have both halves of the file (thus both cards) simultaneously recognized by XDCAM Transfer so that it could piece them together. Importing the seamed clip was then without error. Getting both cards recognized at once required using the Camera as one drive and a the Sony SxS Memory Card reader as the other drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]