FORUMS: list search recent posts

New bluray project

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
New bluray project
on Apr 29, 2008 at 8:05:56 am

We've been planning for a year or so now, this is a long term project that we're just beging to shoot. Lots of graphics and fx.

It'll be another year in the making and we're producing a bluray and SD DVD. Shooting XDcam on PDW350 and EX1.

After many tests we still can't decide on 1080p v 1080i (we're in Palland here)

What are the technical implications of each, aside from the aesthetic ones?

Rafael what's your advice on this one?

Alan

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: New bluray project
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:14:50 pm

How do propose to play your Blu-Ray DVD's, I am told that the Sony players will only play studio features and specially licensed material?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:23:09 pm

Hi Michael,

As that's a year or so away yet, I've not given it much thought. Now that Bluray's the HD DVD format of the future, I assumed that suitable players will be available by then.

Walter Biscardi and others over in the FCP forum are authoring in Encore and so presumably finding players for their material in the US.

I'm just trying to minimize my problems downstream by choosing the best format to shoot in at the moment.

Thanks Alan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 29, 2008 at 4:24:49 pm

hi Alan,
As David says he is playing 1080i without problem. I guess that the BR players can play every format and all the HD screens are multi-scan so shouldn't be no problem. What I said about that BR only supports 1080p (180p30 to be precise) it may refers to commercial disks.
Whatever the format you choose, editing will be quite easy in FC. At the moment I'm working with a Laptop. Is OK because what I'm doing is basically cutting and Color. To make multi-layers and "deep-rendering" more CPU and Graphic card are required. EX-1 footage is light but really big.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 29, 2008 at 8:58:13 pm

Yes Alan but I'm being told that Sony are being 'dog in the manger' by restricting their players to only play the big commercial discs to prevent people burning their own copies. True or false? Can't get the difinitive answer.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:22:03 pm

Hi Alan,
I think that Blueray supports only Progressive footage so 1080p25 would be the way.
If in the end you don't want your SD DVD looks progressive, you can use the Re_Vision Re-Interlacer and will look like shoot in 625i50.

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

Antonio Ribeiro
on Jun 27, 2008 at 8:43:00 am

hi Rafael,

I'm having a bit of a problem with HD storage at the moment. I have a Sony EX1 and have recorded a few films (720/50p) and I'm desperate for a way to archive the footage to free up some much needed HD space.

I'm considering buying a Blue Ray recorder, but one that I could plug in to my Mac Pro with a couple of external Lacie disks. Can you advise on a good compatible unit?

Thanks
Antonio

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:23:00 pm

Can't say about the 1080P, but we are authoring Blu-ray from our XDAMHD 330 with 1080i and it looks great! We have tested the playback in the Sony 300, 500 and the PS3 and the BD-R and BD-RW all play.

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
G5 Quad - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.4.11-QT 7.3

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 29, 2008 at 4:38:34 pm

Thanks Guys,

But I'm a bit concered, Rafeal, that BR will only support 1080p and not i.

If that's true then it looks like I've no option but to shoot 1080p25

Alan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 29, 2008 at 5:00:49 pm

Blu-Ray burners from Pioneer and authoring software- like Adobe Encore are available right now. I'd highly recommend getting them and running some end to end tests before you commit to a format. It could get quite expensive down the road if you end up shoot a less than optimal Blu-Ray format.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Apr 30, 2008 at 2:54:56 am

Alan,

Haven't tried it specifically on a Sony player, but 1080i looks great on Bluray. We use the Samsung P1200 for display (trade shows, etc.). Use Encore for encoding, at least until the Apple engineers get back from their iPhone tour of duty and can get us Bluray capability in Studio Pro. Everything works great.

Jason

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:20:04 pm

Jason,

What were your reasons for choosing interlaced over progressive?

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:36:58 pm

I was using the Z1U as one of my sources. That camera does not have a 1080p option. Now that I have the EX1, I am doing most everything in 1080p.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 30, 2008 at 4:22:35 pm

So Jason was this 1080i50, 1080p25 ??

And if so did the Bluray disks play okay and on what?

Alan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:57:45 am

Hi Alan,
I've been reading few threads, and seems that you can put 720/1080/p/1.
1080p30 will probably be for 35mm films to BR.
If I would need to start to shoot now without knowing if the final movie will be "i" or "p", I think I would shoot 1080i. I would prefer de-interlace all the footage better than re-interlace it.

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 30, 2008 at 8:51:30 am

Yes, thanks Rafeal, that was my thinking too.

Micheal, like most people on these forums - and I'm speaking for the little people here - I do hope you're wrong. Thank you for the insight though, I'll watch this space with interest.

Alan

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 30, 2008 at 5:58:55 pm

Michael is wrong if you want an official Blu Ray release it'll cost you but you can still do it. Otherwise go the BD-R route and Sony won't mind a bit!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 1, 2008 at 10:39:14 am

Alan, I'm one of the 'little people' too.

Steve, I'm glad I'm wrong but no one has suggested exactly how we proceed with encoding (from an HD timeline), burning and then playing Blu-Ray through a projector or TV. Do we have to license or not, if so how? Will the standard Sony players play our DVD's?

So much conflicting information and from Sony a deafening silence!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 1, 2008 at 10:43:50 am

Go to the FCP forum and do a search for Blu Ray, Walter Biscardi has a good workflow for burning BDR discs that play on most players with no license required!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 1, 2008 at 8:56:04 pm

Thanks Steve, will do. There do seem to be various new ideas emerging and no doubt all will become manifest in the fullness of time.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]