FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am I Missing Something?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Am I Missing Something?
on Apr 27, 2008 at 6:55:55 pm

Is it just me. or is anyone else having problems transferring clips (EX-1) that span two SxS cards? It has worked for me when I've transferred directly from the camera with both cards downloading simultaneously, but when I try to do it one card at a time on my MacBook Pro, I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I always do a "Transfer All Files" but usually everything transfers except the "incomplete" clip. The last time, I tried to transfer that clip by itself, but the import button was ghosted until I set in and out points on the clip. Of course, once I got it to work, I still did not have a single joined clip. The instructions for the Sony Transfer program really say very little about this feature. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Am I Missing Something?
on Apr 27, 2008 at 9:38:01 pm

Try copying the BPAV contents onto your hard drive from both cards first. Then drop them both into the transfer software at the same time. Should work.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 27, 2008 at 9:47:00 pm

So, Noah, are you saying that the problems I am experiencing are normal?
I would rather that it work correctly, than have to work around the problem if possible.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2008 at 9:53:32 pm

I'm sure Sony is aware of the issue and working on it so that spanned clips are rejoined properly. In the meantime it's a simple workaround. And while on the subject having a hard drive backup of all your BPAV is a really, really wise practice anyway. If you consider the BPAV's your negative and the QuickTime transfers your prints you can see why.... :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:41:17 am

[Chris Babbitt] "The last time, I tried to transfer that clip by itself, but the import button was ghosted until I set in and out points on the clip. Of course, once I got it to work, I still did not have a single joined clip."

Yes, that's importing as a subclip. It works but they don't join that way. As Noah mentions, copy to hard drive.

What I do is use Sony Clip Browser and copy to a parent folder on my hard drive.
ProjectA partent, ProjectACard1, ProjectACard2, ProjectACard3, ProjectsACard4.

Then in Sony Transfer Tool Add the the four card folders and Import All. At this point even if you import one card folder at a time, when you get to the folder that finishes the clip, it'll import all the others.

I recently shot a 90 minute speech spanning across a 16GB and two 8GB cards. The whole thing was spanned clips on and between cards. After adding all the folders all I had to do was go to the last folder and import all and the whole thing was brought in to FCP as one long clip.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 28, 2008 at 4:50:37 am

Very good.

Thank you Craig & Noah

Return to posts index

David Burch
on May 19, 2008 at 8:55:48 pm

I've never had a problem with this. Whenever I transfer clips that span more than one card it simply joins the clips together during transfer. The only time I've seen an incomplete clip was when I missed a few seconds on the last card because I hadn't realized it had switched over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]