FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX - RAID Requirements

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Truitt
XDCAM EX - RAID Requirements
on Apr 23, 2008 at 4:05:53 am

I am currently spec-ing out a fat new (Mac) editing system for our studio. The one remaining question I have concerns RAID/Storage requirements. We would be ingesting a majority of our footage via the SxS cards, but would also like the ability to use the HD-SDI output (via Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme) in a studio environment. What RAID configuration would you folks suggest to easily handle HD-SDI 4:2:2 from this camera. Is XDCAM 4:2:2 considered "Uncompressed"? There seems some different opinions "out there" about what's needed for RAID requirments and storage for this format. Even my salesman was unsure. (!?) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. -BT

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XDCAM EX - RAID Requirements
on Apr 23, 2008 at 6:11:38 pm

XDCAM EX is indeed compressed HD, no way around that. It's a 35mbit HD compression with nice VBR quality. A Raid is not needed for playing it back.

However, if you plan to try the live HD-SDI capture to 8-bit or 10-bit uncompressed you'd need to spec out a RAID with the matching data rates to Blackmagic HD or AJA Kona 3- depending on your preference. Here's a white paper from Black Magic describing storage needs for uncompressed HD:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=62

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Issko
Re: XDCAM EX - RAID Requirements
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:31:48 am

I have a Caldigit 2Tb HDPro raid setup. You can set it in many raid configurations but mine is in raid 5.

Great for uncompressed HD.
Cheers
David Issko

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]