FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a basic Macbook Pro be sufficient?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
Will a basic Macbook Pro be sufficient?
on Apr 21, 2008 at 8:42:58 pm

I am in the final stages of making a decision to either buy a low end Macbook Pro or split for a few 16 gig SxS cards. I can get a MBP for right around $2000 configured like this:

- 2.6 duo Intel processor
- 250 gig internal hard drive
- Low end Nvidia graphics card
- 34 slot for SxS cards
- 2 gigs of ram
- Lacie 250 gig external drive for file transfer storage

I also have been led to understand that I can put a copy of FCP onto this machine without having to purchase it if I already have a licsensed copy. Will this machine suffice as a tool to transfer footage to and do occasional field editing(very occasional)? It just doesn't make much sense to me to buy more SxS cards if I can get a whole computer for the same price. Also, does anyone know how long it will take to transfer a full 8 gig card to a machine like this? keep in mind the footage will be stored on an external firewire drive.

Any insight will be most appreciated. $2000 is a lot of money right now. But I need to get my workflow in tact soon.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Will a basic Macbook Pro be sufficient?
on Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:03 pm

That's what I use. You can always use more power for renders and it limits your monitoring options- i.e. not going to get a Kona 3. But it is a solid and workable workflow.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Will a basic Macbook Pro be sufficient?
on Apr 22, 2008 at 5:48:31 am

[Mick Haensler] " Will this machine suffice as a tool to transfer footage to and do occasional field editing(very occasional)?"
Enough. You would have only problems using CGU based effects.

[Mick Haensler] "does anyone know how long it will take to transfer a full 8 gig card to a machine like this? "
You insert your 8GB SXS card in the slot, open XDCAM Transfer software, and in 4/5 minutes You have all your EX-1 clips in your FW HD ready to be edited in FC. And if you want edit faster, get your self some eSATA/FW HDs.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]