FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which microphone?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gunn
Which microphone?
on Apr 21, 2008 at 1:31:46 pm

The audio on my EX-1 is MUCH better than previous cameras so I think a better mic is in order. I have been using a Rode NTG-1 which seems to be a decent mic. When I started researching this, someone (a real pro) suggested a hypercardioid instead of a shotgun. This I find interesting but confusing. Why do I see shotgun mics on everybody's camera. The person who offered this advice presented very good reasons for hypercardioid. My work is mostly special events with interviews at five to six feet. Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: Which microphone?
on Apr 21, 2008 at 2:28:02 pm

For your interviews use a peanut (Tram TR50 or Sony ECM77) unless you can get your rifle-mic just out of shot on CLOSE framing. So much depends on what you are shooting for a general purpose mic. Just remember - mics don't zoom like lenses. Get as close as you can for primary sound sources - you can always add ambience but you cannot take it away! My prefs are Sennheiser 416 for rifle mic, Tram TR50 peanut (lavalier) & Rode Stereo Videomic for general atmos. Better still use a sound engineer (location recordist) who will bring the right tricks for the job!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 21, 2008 at 3:04:44 pm

I'm using an Audio-Technica mic part # AT4073a on my EX1. It's very good at picking up sound directly in front of the camera while rejecting side ambience at the same time. You can read a very thorough test along with other good mic choices here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

After you've read the article you'll have a much better idea of which mic you should buy.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Apr 21, 2008 at 6:58:08 pm

Thanks guys. The kenstone test was awesome and helped ne make up my mind!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 21, 2008 at 8:08:02 pm

Odd bird that I am, I bought the Sony ECM 680s. It's a stereo/mono switchable and Sony had $150 rebate if bought within a certain amount of time after purchasing the EX1.

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Apr 22, 2008 at 2:13:14 pm

I am buying the Oktava MK012A Russian mic. When I really thought about my actual needs, the Russian mic was ovbious. I never need to record at a distance but rather at three to eight feet. My biggest need is to exclude noise as I shoot on the run and quite often in a busy room. The size of the mic and the price are very attractive also.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 22, 2008 at 5:19:59 pm

[Dan Gunn] "The size of the mic and the price are very attractive also."

If you also noticed at the Ken Stone site, there is also a new article on various lav systems. I'm looking forward to reading that one. Knowledge is power :) Good luck with your purchase, Dan.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]