FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Ford
Premiere Pro EX-1
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:52:04 pm

The long awaited update to Premiere for EX-1 has been issued.

(!!)

Return to posts index

randy Strome
Re: Premiere Pro EX-1
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:30:54 pm

Where is the downlaod available?

Not seeing it on the adobe site.

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:47:50 pm

As of an hour ago, I was not on the Adobe update area.

Supposedly you can update from within Premiere...under help?

Anywaysss this will reassure you:

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2008/04/xdcam_and_premiere_32.html

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:03:15 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:14:22 pm

You are welcome.

It's just in time. I was thinking of having to go to the dark side and get Apple and Final Cut!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2008 at 10:37:28 pm

You could get a Mac and use BOTH Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro is available for the Mac.

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:05:57 pm

Pat,

I am very impressed with this update. It does away with clip browser, plays back beautifully in all formats and cuts archived files in half.

Very, very good!

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Apr 15, 2008 at 4:00:30 pm

Thanks, Randy....

I am at PP 2.....time to get PPCS3...and am using my trusty old PD 150.

Lezseehere: Upgrade to PPCS3, get a EX-1, get a computer that can handle HD properly.

Looks like that'll chew the heck out of 10k.

Wish I had some idea how much the EX-1 would improve the footage for mere mortals. It obviously does wonders for guys like Phillip Bloom.

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Apr 15, 2008 at 4:44:16 pm

[Pat Ford] "Wish I had some idea how much the EX-1 would improve the footage for mere mortals. It obviously does wonders for guys like Phillip Bloom."

Hi Pat,

The footage out of the EX1 is crisp and beautiful. I agree that the pieces on Phil's site are terrific. The narrow depth of field that makes them so special looking is largely a function of the Letus adaptor, though, not the EX (and of course Phil's skill). I think it is probably important to consider that that look is not possible with an out of the box EX (1 or 3) alone.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:28:22 pm

[randy Strome] " think it is probably important to consider that that look is not possible with an out of the box EX (1 or 3) alone.
"

Well if you put a long lens on an EX3 then you will be able to achieve that look without a Letus adapter that's why I'm going to be buying one!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:45:34 pm

Steve,

[Steve Connor] "Well if you put a long lens on an EX3 then you will be able to achieve that look without a Letus adapter that's why I'm going to be buying one!"

I beg to differ. It's not even close to the same look with a long lens, because with the long lens all the depth elements are scrunched together to get that foreshortened depth of field. It'll be quite unnatural for many shots, even if you have the depth in the setting to back off far enough. You wouldn't want your shots to all look like nature photography. A long lens is no substitute for a 35mm adapter.

Ron Shook

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:49:15 pm

[Steve Connor] "Well if you put a long lens on an EX3 then you will be able to achieve that look without a Letus adapter that's why I'm going to be buying one!
"

I'm not absolutely sure that would be practical for several reasons.

I believe the Letus Extreme is only around $1000. What are you expecting to pay for a good lens? How long and how far away would you have to position yourself to match what the shallow DOF with Letus plus 35mm lens?

Good video lenses (especially HD lenses) are very expensive (can cost more than the camera).
Interchangeable lenses are nice but your client or your "indie" feature has to have the budget for them. Some rent the lenses as needed.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 15, 2008 at 6:35:39 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'm not absolutely sure that would be practical for several reasons.

I believe the Letus Extreme is only around $1000. What are you expecting to pay for a good lens? How long and how far away would you have to position yourself to match what the shallow DOF with Letus plus 35mm lens?

Good video lenses (especially HD lenses) are very expensive (can cost more than the camera).
Interchangeable lenses are nice but your client or your "indie" feature has to have the budget for them. Some rent the lenses as needed.
"

Disagree entirely, we're doing this all the time with Digibeta cameras and HDCam cameras, as for lenses we rent them and if you use the 2/3 inch converter, the extra focal length will make it even easier to achieve.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:32:55 pm

[Steve Connor] "Disagree entirely, we're doing this all the time with Digibeta cameras and HDCam cameras"

For under $1000? And you can match the shallow DOF of a Letus Extreme. Keep in mind EX3 is 1/2" and not 2/3" also. Zooming in is NOT going to give you the same field of view as a Letus with 35mm lens attached.

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Apr 15, 2008 at 10:59:14 pm

[Steve Connor] "Well if you put a long lens on an EX3 then you will be able to achieve that look without a Letus adapter that's why I'm going to be buying one!"

Hi Steve,

You can actually get really nice short DOF shots with the EX1 at the long end of the stock lens when close up and this will be enhanced for $1,000 with the Schneider 1.6X and hopefully later a 2X. But, as others have noted, this requires a very specific set of shot rquirements and is no sub for the adaptors. The beauty of the Letus type adaptors is reducing that set of requirements so as that very short DOF can be acheived in most situations. In my mind the coolest feature they allow is the use of Tilt / Shift lenses on a large (creatively imposed) "film size".

These adaptors are still the key for those shots, the size of the gadget pretty well mandates tripod use (thus eliminating the benefit of the "semi shoulder" mount for that type of shooting), there is no image quality improvement. For that style of shooting I would think EX1, Letus, great monitor. Unless you need Genlock or Timecode you will add nothing that I can see by going EX3. Caveat: that really cool frame rate dial.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 15, 2008 at 4:59:23 pm

Pat,

[Pat Ford] "Wish I had some idea how much the EX-1 would improve the footage for mere mortals. It obviously does wonders for guys like Phillip Bloom."

That made me chuckle. I suspect that Philip would be the last to claim DP immortality. If you leave the camcorder on auto and shoot for SD delivery, it's unlikely that the EX1 would give you too much of an advance over your current set-up. Philip couples learning the capabilities of his camera inside and out, shooting with the 35mm adapter, a learned/natural sense of composition and structure, and creative CC in post to deliver what he does. It's not that a lot of us couldn't do the same, it's just that many of us don't. It ain't magic, but it may in its totality be close to rocket science. (g)

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:14:11 pm

Mere mortals like it too. I also use Sony PD-170 for some SD work. Recently I shot a talking head interview with PMW-EX1 even though it was destined for SD. The client immediately saw the resolution improvement in the SD results.

In addition, when editing in the SD timeline, I was able to reposition a couple of shots when he shifted his head too far. I was even able to offer the client the option of doing a slow push in during editing when we held a shot long.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:47:23 pm

Craig,

All good points.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Apr 16, 2008 at 2:14:15 am

That made me chuckle. I suspect that Philip would be the last to claim DP immortality. If you leave the camcorder on auto and shoot for SD delivery, it's unlikely that the EX1 would give you too much of an advance over your current set-up. Philip couples learning the capabilities of his camera inside and out, shooting with the 35mm adapter, a learned/natural sense of composition and structure, and creative CC in post to deliver what he does. It's not that a lot of us couldn't do the same, it's just that many of us don't. It ain't magic, but it may in its totality be close to rocket science. (g)

Thanks for your answer...I understand about the depth of field that Letus provides.

However, the thing that impresses me about the EX-1 is the color. Colors seems much brighter and vivid that I get on my PD 150. Sonys have always said to tend toward blue. It seems that this follows whatever the time of day is when Phillip is shooting. Is this camera or have the camera settings been changed to create this lush color?

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:45:35 am

Pat,

[Pat Ford] "However, the thing that impresses me about the EX-1 is the color. Colors seems much brighter and vivid that I get on my PD 150. Sonys have always said to tend toward blue. It seems that this follows whatever the time of day is when Phillip is shooting. Is this camera or have the camera settings been changed to create this lush color?"

I obviously can't speak for Philip, but from what I understand of his workflow, much of this lushness of color is created on a 4:2:2 ProRez FCP timeline using Magic Bullet. I've seen plenty of footage from the EX1 shot on auto that isn't anywhere near as lush (more like your 150, but sharper). You could probably do some of this in the camera, but the chances of screwing up are more probable when you don't have the chances for do overs that you have in post. Choose your gamma curve, expose and white balance properly, and CC in post.

That's my best guess, anyhow.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

John Zentmeyer
on Apr 21, 2008 at 3:11:43 am

Lets say just for conversation that someone invested mega bucks on a Macbook pro just to dump the cards upon. Using the only available software to do so quickly and efficiently (XDcam transfer)puts it on the drive as a .mov file which still cannot be imported into Premier. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 21, 2008 at 3:28:00 am

Sony Clip Browser copies the files from SxS card to hard drive on Intel Mac. It doesn't convert it. XDCAM Transfer tool is SPECIFICALLY for rewrapping to MOV. Different tool. Different purpose. See above thread on competing (alternative) product to Sony Clip Browser for another option.

Return to posts index

keith beam
on May 8, 2008 at 3:03:35 am

Need help getting by or through the clip browser.
Just started using Adobe Premier CS3 and Sony PMW EX1.

I was filming and ran out of card space. So I hooked up the card reader and moved the footage to an external hard drive. Now when I try to import the footage into Adobe I get error messages. I also can not see the clips in the clip browser to export them into MFX files. Someone on this post mentioned not having to use the clip browser.

Please send help.

Keith Beam

Return to posts index

Jared Scheffler
on May 8, 2008 at 7:04:21 pm

Hey Kieth,

All the research I've been doing concludes the past week
concludes Adobe Production CS3 and the prior versions do not
support the AVCHD format the Sony EX1 uses. However, I recently heard adobe has created an update. It's called 3.2 version I believe it's downloadable and free:
http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2008/04/xdcam_and_premiere_32.html

Another option is go to:
mainconcept.com
click on I believe prosumer products and there is a converter
the sell I cant remember the name.. I think AVC H3 or something. It should be easy to find.

Hope that helps. I'm thinking of upgrading to the EX1 and Adobe CS3 let me know how everything turns out. Hope you get
some birds this spring... Jared

Return to posts index

keith beam
on May 9, 2008 at 2:24:07 am

Thanks Jared,

Tried the update...same story different day. Anyone got a fix to this nightmare?

Beamer out.

Return to posts index

Jared Scheffler
on May 9, 2008 at 3:34:58 am

Keith,

I'm not sure if it will fix the problem or not
but here is the link to the plug in for Premiere
for people who use the Ex1:
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-3-7850/info...

Hope that helps... I've been investing alot of time the past
week trying to find out everything I can when using those two combinations(EX1 and CS3) together.
I had to call Adobe technical once and the guy I spoke with
was extremely helpful you may have luck there. I'm all out for now... Jared

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]