FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX3 Review

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Bloom
XDCAM EX3 Review
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:15:39 pm

Not sure if anyone is interested. But I have a written and video review of the EX3 here: http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_Bloom/XDCAMEX3.html

http://www.philipbloom.net

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX3 Review
on Apr 13, 2008 at 11:03:09 pm

Firmware changes we can expect?

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Apr 13, 2008 at 11:17:34 pm

Hi Philip,

What a great review, it covers all the main questions really well, thanks. In particular the ergonomics which seems to be a major issue with the EX1, in addition to some of the controls.

What surprises me a bit is that Sony must have known all along that the improved features of the EX3 are things we would have liked on the EX1, but no doubt it's part of a marketing strategy to have two levels of the same camera and they know a lot of EX1 owners will upgrade after one year rather than after three years. Cunning.

Like you say, a bunch of is will be thinking hey I just bought an EX1, if only I'd known. I guess it gives us incentive to earn as much as we can with the EX1 so we can upgrade later in the year. What a great camera.

Cheers,

Derek

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:33:17 am

Great review...I hope to look at your clips as well, soon. I may be wrong about this (I've been known to be wrong once or twice ;o) ) but, I'll bet Sony wasn't expecting the EX-1 to be such a runaway hit; they made a camera for under 7k, and targeting a user that doesn't need the quality of the higher end cameras. BUT, as I understand it, Sony (accedently?) made a camera that has an image quality as good or better then cameras two or three times the price! Users took notice, and went on a buying frenzy. What I hope they eventually do, is make a full-size version (2/3" chips, shoulder mount, four or five card slots). I know Sony wants us all to intermingle their "disk cam" with the SXS format but, as of right now I don't see that happening; the formats are just to different.

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:13:05 am

Any indication of cost of EX-3?

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:00:44 am

I'm sure all us EX1 owners will feel better after we hear the cost of the new unit. My guess is 10 grand.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Apr 14, 2008 at 7:56:53 am

£5,995 inc VAT, see: http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=174

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:40:18 pm

Great review, thanks fpr such a good job Philip.

Also what nice quality streaming video, would you mind sharing your coding details with us?

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Cost ...
on Apr 16, 2008 at 7:02:34 am

A Sony rep in the booth said "Under $13k". And, it is supposed to be available in a "less lens" configuration. Now we're talking.

Did anyone mention the on-board 60Gb recorder? Everyone ripped Sony for limiting the drive to 60Gb.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Cost ...
on Apr 16, 2008 at 7:28:00 am

[Steve Wargo] "Did anyone mention the on-board 60Gb recorder? "

Oops, of course he did. My bad. I'm sure the drive will be larger when it comes time for release. Everyone complained about the capacity.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Anthony Carnaxide
Re: Cost ...
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:36:42 pm

Any word on the cost for the 2/3" to 1/2" adapter and does it have a connector built on it to connect the lens cable.
Also has anyone had a chance to play with it at NAB

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 14, 2008 at 7:59:48 pm

[Philip Bloom] "Not sure if anyone is interested. But I have a written and video review of the EX3 "

Philip, this has to be the understatement of the year! :-) How many hits have you had so far?

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Oliver Angeles
on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:52:07 pm

thanks philip,
a very nice and clean review!
this new version addressed all the complaints we had from the former one.
another big hit from sony i suppose.

cheers!
oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]