FORUMS: list search recent posts

enhancement changes between ND filter 1 and 2

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob glusic
enhancement changes between ND filter 1 and 2
on Apr 11, 2008 at 6:08:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone noticed a difference in sharpness or detail when switching between ND filter 1 and 2? Filter 2 in an outdoor sunny scene looks fine but if I switch to filter 1 I loose detail or sharpening (about 20%). I've tested 2 cameras with the same results.

Thank,
Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: enhancement changes between ND filter 1 and 2
on Apr 12, 2008 at 5:08:09 am

Are you sure that's not do in part to the change in exposure the ND switch mandates? All lenses have a sweet spot where at a certain point in the iris range they are sharper than others- usually somewhere around the middle is best- like f4-f8.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Apr 13, 2008 at 9:33:57 am

There's been postings here about a back focus issue with the EX1 and the ND filters. Can't say I've noticed it myself but mine's of of the recent ones.

I hope I don't regret not waiting for the EX3???

Alan

Return to posts index

bob glusic
on Apr 13, 2008 at 5:50:57 pm

I plan on sending Sony 2 still captures of the same subject just different ND filters to show them the difference.

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 15, 2008 at 4:50:39 pm

I've noticed some "strangeness" in focus a few times in screening material we recently shot. It seems and this is assuming I didn't screw up and refocus...shots that are under exposed, go soft. Since this is way after the fact, I have no idea which filter I was on, but interiors, in theory would be with no ND or ND 1, and exteriors with at least ND 1.

I know this sounds wrong, in theory if they were under exposed the iris would be giving more depth of field, but it has happened several times and I don't think or at least I hope I didn't miss the focus that far.

I've been too busy to make some sort of analytical test, but in 24 hours of video I don't expect to get a half dozen shots that are soft.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]