FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 with sound problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dietmar Post
EX1 with sound problems
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:55:03 pm

I do experience huge sound problems while shooting rock shows. Even though levels are never in the red both external (ME66) and internal mikes seem to vibrate and sound comes out distorted. I used to shoot the DVCAM work horse PD 100 and never had the same problems with the same external mikes I am using. What could be the problem? It seems that the EX1 is hyper sensitive, especially the plastic work body transmits every single hair.

Best,
Dietmar

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 with sound problems
on Apr 8, 2008 at 9:47:02 pm

Have you tried adjusting the mic sensitivity?

Return to posts index

Dietmar Post
on Apr 9, 2008 at 7:37:31 am

Since I am not a sound pro how would I do that exactly?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:05:27 pm

Well (as a sound pro), it sounds like you are describing two different problems. The vibrating is being caused by a certain frequency(s) (by the music you're recording) at a very high volume. As far as the distortion, you probably need to add a pad since you are recording sound at high volumes. The EX-1 is a full-blown professional camera which means you have to set everything manually (and you have a lot of options). Go into the audio setup section of the camera (page 101 in the instructions) and adjust, what they call, the trim. This setting allows you to add pads which reduces high volume inputs. You also might be using a mic that can't handle the SPL's of the concert you're recording, but if you have used it before with success, I would try adjusting the audio trim settings on the camera.

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Apr 9, 2008 at 8:30:46 pm

Dietmar,

You probably already have done this, but just in case.
Make sure that the CH1 and CH2 switches are set to manual on the back of the camera. IF they are set to AUTO, you will get bad distortion while the level monitors on the screen look fine. Also make sure you have the phantom mic settings correct near the XLR connectors.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]