FORUMS: list search recent posts

TSA & Batteries

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Painter
TSA & Batteries
on Apr 6, 2008 at 5:18:55 pm

Has anybody had any problems with the TSA and their checked Dionic Lithium batteries?
I know the new law, but what are you supposed to do with 6 of them?
I can't carry them on and have my camera.
I have flown several times this year and not had a problem.
Just wondering if anybody has?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: TSA & Batteries
on Apr 7, 2008 at 12:47:08 pm

How about checking two and UPS or FedEx the others to your contact in the city you'll be shooting in? You should know a couple days in advance when you confirm your shoot so you could 2nd day or overnight the batteries. Your client, who is lucky to have you, probably wouldn't mind receiving them at their location.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:37:11 pm

Sam,
What is the new law?

Phil

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:25:50 am

The new law is that from January you can't carry spare lithium ion batteries in check-in baggage, they should go as carry on.

I think the main risk is fire hazard and crushing or puncturing is a risk in aircraft holds. These batteries can only be put in checked in baggage if they are installed in a piece of equipment and the on/off switch is taped in the 'off' position, or if they are new batteries in the original packaging.

TSA prefer that the terminals are covered with tape and it's better to have them in separate plastic zip-lock bags.

If they are found loose in check-in bags they may be removed by TSA.

Make sure you have at least one charged battery with you in case you are asked to turn on the camera.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:30:23 am

BTW, on my last flight my toothpaste was confiscated from my carry-on. Although the tube was nearly empty, it was a 150gm tube, which 'exceeded' the 100gm/100ml limit for fluids.

At some point TSA also removed the single AA battery from the travel alarm clock in my check-in bag. I try hard to follow the regulations but it ain't easy...

Return to posts index

Phil Yunker
on Apr 8, 2008 at 6:20:38 pm

Derek,
Thanks for the info, I had no idea about this new law.
It really seems as if they don't want us to fly at all!

Thanks.

PHIL

Return to posts index

jim Watt
on Apr 10, 2008 at 12:11:45 am

We've traveled a half dozen times or so with NP1 batteries, but hand carried them, however no one even looked at them when we ran them through the scanner, & that's domestic and in 3 different Asian countries.

I don't think they're taking the batteries seriously at this point, but you can bet if they happen to check a piece of checked gear and find batteries they'll either remove them or ask you to hand carry.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina"

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:40:57 pm

you say removed. What? They take it away from you or they just take it out of the gear and you carry it. I have a MacBook Pro with a spare battery in my backpack. Should I leave one battery home? The whole idea for two MacBook batteries was for airline flights when the first ran out.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]