FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help!!! EX1 files from External Hard Drive have been deleted...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Pépin
Help!!! EX1 files from External Hard Drive have been deleted...
on Apr 6, 2008 at 2:37:49 pm

I've Use EX1 on a big shoot this weekend.
After Uploading all the cards on a external hard drive.
Someone accidently deleted the folder with all the files in it.
I've try to use DataRescueII but they restored some QT files that I can't open.
Obsviously not the good ones.

Any other solutions???? Producer going crazy!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Help!!! EX1 files from External Hard Drive have been deleted...
on Apr 6, 2008 at 6:07:32 pm

First of all, don't save anything else to that hard drive until you get your missing files back. If you do then you risk overwriting the ones you want and then you really won't be able to get them back. Do the retrieved QT files that you say you can't open have the .mp4 suffix?

- Don

Return to posts index

Ken Libby
on Apr 6, 2008 at 7:17:55 pm

I've had good luck recovering jpgs with File Salvage. Don't know if it'll work for EX files. Try http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&product...

Return to posts index

Alexandre Pépin
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:48:06 pm

Thanks guys,

I did retrieved some .mp4 files with file salvage. But still can't open them in QT.
I can with After effects, but with no sound.
I'll try to reconstruct the cards with the right folders name and try to get them into XDCAM transfert program.
Wish me luck

Return to posts index

Alexandre Pépin
Recovering files
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:53:50 pm

It seems like all the big files that have been shot in continuous time over two cards, are corrupted. But the small files shot on one card can be played.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Recovering files
on Apr 7, 2008 at 9:21:58 pm

Check MP4 files in VLC. It won't play audio but it's a good way to check to see if the files will play.

Ideally you'd like the entire BPAV folders so (on Mac) XDCAM Transfer tool can rewrap them as MOV.

If there's even the remotest risk someone is going to be touching hard drives who might do such risky things, back up the BPAV folders to DL-DVD. This can be done with the laptop you're using for import. Import files and immediately burn to DL-DVD.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:12:43 am

Excuse me for being loud, but ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:58:07 am

[Derek Hall] "Excuse me for being loud, but ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP. "

You probably weren't loud enough, Derek. Perhaps a permanent sticky up top would help. Another thing all EX users might take note of is that you can lock any file or folder that contains files so that they can't inadvertently be deleted. Highlight any file or folder (like a BPAV folder) and choose "Get Info" from the file menu or hit Command (Apple) - I. In the window that appears put a check mark in the lock box. No more mistakes.

When it's time to actually delete your EX media (after back up and transfer) there is a keyboard shortcut that will delete even locked files or folders en masse but I forget what it is at the moment. Maybe that's a good thing, too.

- Don

Return to posts index

Robert Gonzalez
on Apr 8, 2008 at 9:21:53 am

The Xdcam transfer tools should join the continuous shoots. In the window, there is a "incomplete" message, but if you try to import, in fact export to a mov file, the soft should join the 2 piece of clips. you can verify it if you sum the weight of the data
Robert

I've made a 25 days shooting using an eeepc, clip broswer, and la Cie rugged HDs. I've made 2 disks, rush and copy of rush, both are "nickel"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]