FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference between Cine1 - Cine4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Difference between Cine1 - Cine4
on Apr 2, 2008 at 7:32:06 pm

A couple of you have suggested setting up a picture profile using Cine1 on the EX. Doug Jensen (Vortex Media DVD) suggests Cine4. Can someone explain the difference?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Difference between Cine1 - Cine4
on Apr 2, 2008 at 7:58:52 pm

Now if Sony actually provided a representation of the gamma curves. They do provide a loose representation in the EX1 product brochure.

There is a maintenance menu in the EX1 that allows one to select a "saw" test display (black to white gradient) in which one can modify the PPs and actually record the results to the SxS so one can have a look on a waveform (such as in your NLE).

While I can understand why Sony doesn't want the end user to mess around with the maintenance menu for certain functions, I don't like the fact that they hide really useful (and harmless) test signals there (as well as back focus adjustment).

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:44:01 pm

Hi Chris,

It is probably not a good idea to think of one Gamma setting as being better than another. I use Cine 1 almost exclusively, but that is due to the fact that I am only shooting variable, wide dynamic range scenes and am always struggling not to (critically) blow highlights or darks. Cine 1 is the most "compressed" curve, and will help in this situation. Note: Cine 2 compesses even futher than Cine 1, but hard limits highlights, so many avoid it for general use. Cine 3 and 4 compress the highlights less, so you may opt for one of those if situations allow (flatter light, lower contrast scenes). There are also (more subtle) differences in how far the darks are pushed in each curve by default.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:57:52 pm

Cine 2 has a ceiling of 100 for those doing broadcast work and not wanting/having time to pull things down in post. Think ENG for example.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]