FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Stabilization/Fluxuation Problem with EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Adolphus
Image Stabilization/Fluxuation Problem with EX1
on Apr 1, 2008 at 7:43:15 pm

I wanted to see if anyone has come across two issues I have found on the Sony XDCAM EX1 and begin a dialogue as to what could be causing the problem and how to resolve the issue. Although both issues are different, they can be described in similar ways and directly effect the actual recorded image.

These issues are:

1.) Intermittent fluctuation of the image similar in look and feel to solar-interference or electro-magnetic interference. The image flickers for a few seconds and then goes away. This particular problem has not yet lasted longer than just a few moments and seems to be completely random and tends to have three or four times over the course of a 10HR shooting day.

*I have witnessed this issue on at least three (3) different EX1 cameras.

2.) Image stabilization - While shooting a documentary Tanzania, under two opposite extremes, the camera's images stabilizer went on the fritz causing a ripple effect across the entire image, most prevalent when one is on the long end of the lens.

This problem seemed to last for a near indefinite period of time as long as the camera remained on. After a full power-down for 5 to 10 minutes, the problem seemed to resolve itself. Since it happened twice over the course of the 21 day shoot, the resolution to the problem was indeed only temporary.

*I have only witnessed this problem on one camera.

For this issue I have attached a link to my server that has a full-res XDCAM Quicktime that can be downloaded once the movie has uploaded. The file size is about 42MB. The clip length is 10 SECONDS. Just right click the screen to save the clip.

http://www.solpictures.com/xdcam

Thanks!

James Adolphus
Director of Photography

Season of Light Pictures
601 West 26th Street - 1776
New York, NY 10001
O: 212.352.3007 x147
M: 917.847.8461
F: 212.352.3015

http://www.jamesadolphus.com
http://www.solpictures.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Image Stabilization/Fluctuation Problem with EX1
on Apr 1, 2008 at 10:54:02 pm

This phenomenon happened to me just once and it's exactly as you've described; almost like a heat wave distortion right in front of the subject being recorded. I never turned off the camera and the next clip I shot didn't have this issue. I even have that distortion shot in one of the demo movies at my web site.

Very strange indeed. I really love being an early adopter :)

- Don

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Apr 1, 2008 at 11:11:01 pm

So far I have shot about 70 clips almost all in daylight outside. On one clip shot in my living room at night, at the begining for about 3 seconds I saw the exact same effect you desribe. Vertical ripples moving horzontally from right to left. But only on one 30 second clip. Still it really made me wonder what the heck had happened.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 9, 2008 at 4:19:22 pm

Don,

RE: The Image Stabilization thingy. My question to all of you would be, "Could this be an example of wobble induced by the rolling shutter?" Were the shots where this occured subject to considerable vibration of one sort or another, which supposidly sets this phenomenon off?

Ron Shook

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 9, 2008 at 5:34:07 pm

[Ron Shook] "Were the shots where this occured subject to considerable vibration of one sort or another, which supposidly sets this phenomenon off? "

Well, not for me it wasn't. I was shooting on a tripod that day and had just finished a 180 degree pan at full wide to capture the shot of a new (and unused) Olympic ski jump area. Right after that I zoomed out to maximum (14x) to capture the 2010 Winter Olympics official statue and that's when I noticed the anomaly. The day was cold but no vibration or anything else to affect the the shot. The EX screw up on this shot is quite subtle compared to the example provided by the original poster of this thread, but it's definitely there and it's the same issue. Obviously there are varying degrees of this phenomenon.

I actually used the shot in my web movie because it's not that noticeable with an 600x 338 frame size, but watching it in 1920x1080 it's quite obvious. The movie has been up on our web site for awhile now.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Apr 9, 2008 at 6:31:28 pm

Don,

[Don Greening] "Well, not for me it wasn't."

Ah, so! Thanks for the description.

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index