FORUMS: list search recent posts

At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Weinstein
At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 1, 2008 at 12:51:19 am

Hi everyone:
I wrote in in January just after I got my EX1 and I was trying to set it up properly. I wrote a post saying that I wasn't able to view clips (no audio or video) in XD Cam Transfer when I connected the camera to the computer. A number of people wrote in saying I needed to update my Final Cut Pro to 6.0.2 and install the SxS driver and have Quicktime version 7.3. Other people said you must have an Intel Mac to use the software at ALL. But other people said that's not true.

In any case, I had to leave the issue because I had assignments to do with my old camera. But now I'm back and I'm still having the same problem even after doing what everyone said to do. The only thing I HAVEN"T done is install Quicktime 7.3. So I now have the same problem with the following specs installed on my computer:
--Final Cut Pro 6.0.2
--Quicktime 7.4 (the latest version)
--Mac OS 10.4.11
--SxS Driver software installed
--It's a Power Mac G5 2.1 Ghz processor

When I open XD Cam Transfer, the program DOES load my cards and the clips and the info. about each clip. But there's just no way to view or hear them or work with them.

So the question is, what's still wrong? Is it as simple as having Quicktime 7.3? It seems like that wouldn't be the case since 7.4 is the latest version and should improve upon 7.3?
Do I need to have the latest operating system? Is that the problem?

Anyway, I'm at my wit's end with this and I'd appreciate any further insights you have. Thank you very much for your help!
Sarah Weinstein
sarah4w@mac.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 1, 2008 at 2:04:19 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "When I open XD Cam Transfer, the program DOES load my cards and the clips and the info. about each clip. But there's just no way to view or hear them or work with them."

Looks like you've got all the stuff you need. You're right, if you've got QT v.7.4 then you don't need to go back to v.7.3. which is the minimum Quicktime requirement, not the ONLY QT requirement.

[Sarah Weinstein] "Do I need to have the latest operating system? Is that the problem?"

No. OS 10.4.11 is fine.

You state that you can't view the clips within the Sony Transfer Tool. This tells me that the XDCAM EX codecs aren't available to the Xfer Tool, otherwise you'd see the clips. A really fast way to find out if the codecs are actually there is to start FCP and and choose: New Sequence (Apple - N). In the pop up window scroll down to the very bottom of the list. There should 10 XDCAM EX settings just above the XDCAM HD presets. Make sure that "Show All Presets" is checked in preferences.

Check that and then post back with your findings.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
Re: At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 1, 2008 at 2:32:56 am

Hi Don:
Thanks very much for your response. I think you're onto something! When I'm in FCP, I went to Audio/Video settings in the pulldown menu and for both Sequence and Capture Presets, I had DV-NTSC 48KHz selected. I'm assuming I have to change those to XDCAM EX settings. But which one do I choose? I don't know the differences between CVR and VBR etc...I think I need a 1080 setting because that's the best quality, no? Which one do you recommend for normal, run of the mill shooting and editing?

Thanks. Hopefully this will solve it...
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 1, 2008 at 3:05:45 am

You choose the sequence preset that matches the one you used when you shot with the EX. Check the EX and see which one you used: HQ 1080i 30, HQ 1080p 30, etc. But even if you have a new sequence created in FCP, when you drag an EX clip into it, if it doesn't match what you shot FCP will ask you if you want to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings. Choose "yes" of course. Makes it really easy.

But my point is that you don't need to choose a sequence setting right now because that won't make a difference to the Sony Xfer Tool. I just needed to know if the EX codecs were present. Are you using the Sony Transfer Tool as a stand alone app or from within FCP?

To make sure that the Sony Transfer Tool "sees" the EX codecs do the following:

1) Quit the Sony Transfer Tool.
2) Turn on the EX camera with it already connected via USB.
3) When the camera asks if you want to connect choose "Execute".
4) Make sure the card icon appears on the desktop.
5) Start FCP and choose "Import Sony XDCAM" from the file menu.
6) The Transfer Tool will start up within FCP and you should now see and hear your clips within the Transfer Tool window.

Post back after so I know this worked for you.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 1, 2008 at 3:21:11 am

Hi Don:
Thanks. I have been using the Transfer tool through FCP. So I connect the camera, see the cards on my desktop, start FCP and go to Import Sony XD cam. And the clips show up with all the info. for each clip. But there's no audio or video.

Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with my basic FCP settings? Either A/V settings or another group of settings I'm overlooking?

Thanks for persevering...
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 1, 2008 at 4:15:36 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with my basic FCP settings? Either A/V settings or another group of settings I'm overlooking? "

I don't think so. At least I can't think of anything that we've missed. The workflow I've outlined is exactly what I do and it works for me every time. Unless there's a slight difference between how a G5 handles everything as opposed to a Mac Pro Intel machine which is what I use.

Even though you can't see them, try selecting all the clips in the Xfer Tool window anyway and import them. If that works they should show up in the Browser afterwards. Double click one of them to load it into the Viewer. Can you see the picture now?

If not then we'll have to leave it for this evening and perhaps someone else can provide some insight in the morning. In the meantime, quit everything and then run Software Update to make sure everything is current as far as OS 10.4.11 and Quicktime is concerned.

Make sure the Pro Apps Application support and security updates are all up to date as well.

Sorry for not figuring this out. As a last resort you may have to erase your startup drive and re-install everything but I hope it doesn't come to that. It's a lot of work.

Please read this recent thread concerning a similar issue such as yours. I thought it may have been a unique problem but maybe your problem can be resolved using Jim's solution concerning software updating.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/857625

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 1, 2008 at 4:50:53 am

Hi Don:
The Import button is grayed out when I try to import clips.
This has got to be some silly thing that I'm overlooking or some option or preference that I haven't chosen or have chosen by mistake or something.
Are you LA based? I wonder if there's some LA-based expert I could have come look at my set up. This kind of technical minutae drives me insane. And keeps me from using my new camera!

Thanks...
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:01:06 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "Are you LA based?"

No, but in the same time zone though, in Vancouver Canada. Make sure you read that recent thread I directed you to then try going to the Apple website directly and checking software updates right from there like Jim Frazer had to do.

If this isn't resolved by tomorrow nite then on Wed. you should contact the local FCP User Group in your area. They'll for sure know someone who owns an EX and is editing with a G5/FCP combo.

Don't despair. Lots of people are using a G5 for editing EX footage. We'll get this figured out for you.

- Don

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Apr 1, 2008 at 4:24:40 am

Sounds like you are getting close to a solution.

For what it's worth, i spent two days screwing around in FCP and XDCAM Transfer on my new Macbook Pro all because i somehow downloaded an old version of XDCAM Transfer from the Sony web site. I had ver 2.1 which made FCP report an error about insuficient disk space. I finally found and downloaded ver 2.5 and eveything worked just fine. I know this is not your same problem but you listed XDCAM Transfer but no version. If yours is ver 2.5 then this tidbit won't help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
A Possible Fix
on Apr 1, 2008 at 8:26:36 am

Many thanks to Chris Leong from another forum for his (at least) 3 day search on the web for coming up with a possible fix for this issue.

Apparently the combination of a G5, OS 10.4.11 and Quicktime 7.4 stops the Sony Transfer Tool from displaying XDCAM EX media properly, resulting in the "No Media" prompt within the Sony Xfer Tool. The fix is to go back to Quicktime v.7.3.1. Chris has done this successfully on numerous Macs that are used to edit XDCAM EX media.

Since it's such a pain to go back to an earlier version of QT I'm waiting for Chris to give me the name of a free utility program that will do a direct install of QT v.7.3.1 without having to de-install QT 7.4 first. I don't know if this will raise a QT conflict or not or if the utility program actually deletes the later version but as soon as I find out the name of this utility I'll post it here.

Hopefully this will solve your issue, Sarah. In the meantime, you could try to update your QT version from 7.4 to 7.4.1 because this latest version is supposed to fix issues in the first version of QT 7.4. If it works then great but if not you'll have to go back to v.7.3.1. I know, it's all very confusing.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: A Possible Fix
on Apr 1, 2008 at 12:21:26 pm

A utility called Pacifist will allow you to install QT 7.3.1 over QT 7.4.x. The alternative is do an archive/install of the OS (which really isn't that painful since it's not an erase/install).

I'm probably repeating some stuff in the thread but:

Make sure you see the EX codecs in FCP 6.0.2's Easy Setups. You don't need to select them to see the video in the XDCAM Transfer Tool. That's a later step.

Make sure you have XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.5.1 and not 2.1 (which came with the camera on CD).

Another thing to try in the Transfer Tool is File/Fetch Metadata from source and then import the file (even if you don't see the video). I've had the odd clip or two where I didn't see video but that worked. Probably not your problem but I'd thought I'd mention it.

BTW I used the Transfer tool on my G5 Dual 2.3GHz, FCP 6.0.2, OS 10.4.11, QT 7.3.1 and that combo worked.

Pacifist
http://www.charlessoft.com/
XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.5.1
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model.aspx?model=PDZKP1

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: A Possible Fix
on Apr 1, 2008 at 2:17:19 pm

Sarah, Did you use the CLOCK timecode?

here is a link to the latest version of XDCam Transfer 2.5.1 that I'm not sure you have.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/xdcamDownload.s...
This is a must and fixes the TIME OF DAY or CLOCK timecode issue.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 1, 2008 at 2:58:18 pm

Don, sorry to but in on your thread but I have a query regarding XDCAM Transfer. I can't find the site to download this free software. Also can you please confirm that it will run on the pre intel Mac G5 as the browzing pack supplied with the camera will only run on the intel Mac. As I edit with Media 100 and they are not yet up to speed with XDCAM and the EX1 codec, I hope to be able to import the QT .mov files into Media 100. But I need the trandsfer tool which I am led to understand will convert the EX1's files into QT .mov. Am I right? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated on this.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 1, 2008 at 6:14:23 pm

Michael,

The preceding two posts in this thread both have links to the Sony Transfer Tool software update.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 1, 2008 at 9:52:07 pm

Thanks Don, stupid of me not to read the whole thread before posting. I tried to log on to the site last week and it wouldn't come up but I see it now.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Steve McGarrigle
on Apr 13, 2008 at 2:25:55 pm

Hi.

If it's any consolation i am in exactly the same position.

Clips will load into the transfer software but clips display 'No Image Available' and in the viewer it says 'No media'.
I have all the Codecs installed according to the list in FCPs Easy setups, however the import button is greyed out until i check the box that says 'Import clips with no installed codecs'.!?
So the list of sequence presets is no guarantee that the codecs actually work.
After importing a clip i have a file that has no picture but does have sound!!!

Where do i get the codecs i need?

I am using O/S 10.4.11
Quicktime 7.4.5 (25)
Final Cut Pro 6.0.3
XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1

Everything plays fine in the clip browser.

Can anybody help?

I too am at my wits end with a project deadline looming.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 13, 2008 at 2:56:47 pm

If this were me I would uninstall the XD Cam transfer program and repair disk permissions, trash final cut preferences and download the 2.5.1 XD Cam transfer software again. If you have access to another MAC unit try your files there. Since the files play in the XD Cam Browser the files don't seem to be the issue. If you still have issues you may need the EX1 to play the files and actually capture the media if time is pressing.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 13, 2008 at 7:41:37 pm

[Steve McGarrigle] "I am using O/S 10.4.11
Quicktime 7.4.5 (25)
Final Cut Pro 6.0.3
XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1
"

Use Pacifist and downgrade Quicktime to 7.3.1. It seems a bunch of people are having this issue and apparently is OS 10.4.11, QT 7.4.x combination that's the issue.

Return to posts index

Steve McGarrigle
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:17:00 pm

I thought that Pacifist was for examining and installing the individual components of an installer package.
How exactly would it be helpful in downgrading my quicktime?
Does Apple keep installers for old versions of Quicktime?
I guess i need too simply trash my newer version.

Sigh - no editing today....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:50:28 pm

See this thread for details. Just make sure you use the correct QT 7.3.1

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6978975

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
A SOLUTION FOUND! Re: At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 17, 2008 at 7:36:40 pm

Hi Everyone:
I'm the person who started this thread about not being able to see or hear clips in the XD Cam Transfer program. Many of you kindly wrote in with suggestions including downgrading Quicktime to 7.3.1, making sure I have the current XD Cam Transfer version 2.1 and other suggestions. Please see the thread. I did everything everyone suggested and it still didn't work. SO, I finally took the camera and computer into Mike at Mac Enthusiasts in Los Angeles (my computer was also having a freezing issue, so I killed two problems with one stone.) Mike found the answer -- and it has worked!

Mike says, "It is a Final Cut Pro limitation There is currently no codec available for FCP 6 that will recognize clips recorded at HQ1080 setting which is a data rate of 35 Mbps. If clips are recorded at SP 1080 it has a data rate of 25 Mbps. FCP has a native codec that will recognize the clips."

Mike had to do quite a lot of research to come up with this. He attached an article to my invoice. The bit about the problem is towards the end of the article, but I thought I'd list the link below because it might also have other info. some of you might like:

http://www.digitalcontentproducer.com/mil/features/video_apple_final_cut_7/...

Thanks for all your help with this and I hope this helps for those of you who are having the same problems.

Sarah Weinstein

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: A SOLUTION FOUND! At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 17, 2008 at 8:22:49 pm

[Sarah Weinstein] "There is currently no codec available for FCP 6 that will recognize clips recorded at HQ1080 setting which is a data rate of 35 Mbps."

Transferring clips recorded at the HQ 1080 35 Mbit per sec. setting is the only format I've EVER used and it's ALWAYS worked, so I don't know where Mike has been getting his research info but it's NOT accurate. And of course, I'm using FCP 6.0.2, QT 7.3.1 and OS 10.4.11.

I suspect that the fixing of Sarah's other computer problem may have been a factor in resolving her issue and not so much a FCP thing. In addition, the article link in Sarah's recent post (the one that her computer person was referencing) was published on Sept. 1st 2007, which was long before the EX and FCP 6.0.2 was even shipping.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: A SOLUTION FOUND! At Wit's End: "No Image" when trying to view clips in XD CAm Transfer and FCP
on Apr 17, 2008 at 8:47:56 pm

"Making sure I have the current XD Cam Transfer version 2.1"
This may just be a typo but the latest XD Cam Transfer version is 2.5.1
I just spent the week at NAB and there will be a new EX Clip Browser program soon that will allow transcoding directly for MAC use. I also heard there is a firmware update that Sony service must do on the EX1 directly. When I get home I will also experiment with the secret back menu that allows for Lens Back Focus alinements. The original firmware version was said to be 1.3 and I heard there is 1.5 available, this is all I found out. Getting to this service menu identifies what firmware is running.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Apr 17, 2008 at 8:48:51 pm

Hi Don:
So I just switched my format back to HQ 1080 mode and recorded a clip and then tried to view it in the XD Cam Transfer program as usual, and sure enough, it says No Media just for that clip. So oddly enough, that seems to be the solution for me. There must be some difference between our two systems that makes it work just fine for you and not work for me -- even though we have the same software -- QT 7.3.1, OS 10.4.11 and the current XD Cam Transfer program.

It would be nice to talk to reps from both Apple and FCP about this issue...

Sarah

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 17, 2008 at 10:02:47 pm

I think you're faced with having to reinstall the ProApps and then update to FCP 6.0.2 keeping Quicktime at 7.3.1 for OS 10.4.11.

FCP 6.0.2 and above contains the codec for the EX1 HQ modes and if you're not seeing it and after trying everything else, you have a bad install. I also think people like "Mike" should not make a declarative statement when they do not know the software involved.

Apple probably won't answer your questions unless you have support contract and they'd likely say the same as I've just said.

If you have FCP 6.0.2 or .0.3, if you have QT 7.3.1 - 7.4.5, if you have XDCAM Transfer 2.1 or 2.5.1 and you're not seeing the media the only thing left is to delete the ProApps (ugh) and then reinstall and update back to FCP 6.0.2 (it won't go to 6.0.3 unless you have QT 7.4.1 or 5).

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 19, 2008 at 3:52:16 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "Mike had to do quite a lot of research to come up with this. He attached an article to my invoice."

Mike searched the web a bit, found some outdated info ... and billed you for it! I would be very wary of doing business with him again. As has been noted time and again surely anywhere you have researched this issue, support for the then full range of XDCAM HD codecs was originally added in FCP 5.1.2, previously only the "SP" setting was supported using the generic HDV setting. With FCP 6.0.2 further support was added for the full raster XDCAM HD codecs from the XDCAM EX cameras.

Return to posts index

Douglas Cummings
on May 23, 2008 at 6:32:13 am

Same prob here: No video though Clip Browser can play them. FCP 6.02/10.4.11/HDCAM 2.7
QT 7.31. When I start up an import from FCP, the XDCAM Transfer lists "Installed Components" and the XDCAM EX Codecs show a red exclaimation mark as if they're missing...well where are they? In that same window it says FCP 6.02 has got em... do I find them and put them into XDCAM Transfer some how??

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on May 23, 2008 at 10:12:08 am

OK, that's good info. I suspect that both Sarah and you have the same problem: an FCP install/upgrade that didn't quite work right.

As Andy said, the HDV codecs are one and the same as the XDCAM HD "SP" and XDCAM EX "SP" (25 Mb/s CBR) codecs. FCP has mostly supported these since FCP 5.1. The XDCAM Transfer 2.7 "Installed Components" window says Apple added XDCAM HD "HQ" (35 Mb/s VBR) in FCP 5.1.2 and the XDCAM EX "HQ" (35 Mb/s VBR) codecs in FCP 6.0.2.

Since all these codecs are really variants of each other, Apple ship them all as part of the AppleHDVCodec.component file that should be in /Library/QuickTime.

In Finder, if you do 'Get Info' on this file, you want to see at least the "Version 1.3.2 (v216)" that ships with FCP 6.0.2.

Since XDCAM Transfer is telling you it can't find the XDCAM EX codecs, I'm guessing you'll see an earlier version number...

How you get the right version, I'm not sure!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 23, 2008 at 1:03:57 pm

Is there a reason you haven't updated FC to 6.0.3? Perhaps as Andy has suggested in other threads this may be the fix.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Douglas Cummings
on May 28, 2008 at 5:50:16 am

Yes ok with Pro Apps Update 6.03 (was not w/6.02) XDCAM Transfer 2.7, QT 7.45, still running MacBook Pro 2.33 intel 10.4.11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]