FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to avoid duplicate clips into FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Sensui
How to avoid duplicate clips into FCP
on Mar 31, 2008 at 10:33:29 pm

To prevent duplicate clips when importing into FCP via the SONY XDCam Transfer application:

Select up to 10 clips and import as usual directly into FCP.

When that's done, go to FCP and move those 10 clips into a bin.

Import the next 10 clips via XDCam Transfer.

Again, go back to FCP and move those newly imported clips into the bin where you moved the other clips.

It's annoying to have to go back and forth. However the advantage of doing it this way is that it will preserve any comments you typed into the XDCam Transfer logging window. Quite helpful when logging a lot of clips.

Apparently FCP chokes when there's more than 10 XDCam clips imported into a project. It will also mess up if there are already XDCam clips in the browser, and your additional clips add up to more than 10 or 11 total clips.

To avoid problems, move imported clips out of the browser and into a bin. That way the next set of clips will be imported into a "clean" browser without any problems.

As clips are imported, they can be consolidated into a bin wihout any problems. Once they're in the project, clips can be moved anywhere and grouped as desired.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
Re: How to avoid duplicate clips into FCP
on Apr 1, 2008 at 1:58:59 pm

Interesting. I just got a new Macbook Pro, FCP and an EX1. I am new to all of it. I imported 57 clips via XDCAM Transfer to FCP and had duplicates but I thought it was from not knowing what I was doing and having had trouble with a wrong version of XDCAM Transfer. Are you saying that if I import 11 clips, there will be at least one duplicate? Is FCP that screwy?

When I click on a duplicate clip to delete, the clip above my click highlights! I have not been able to get the dups clicked on and deleted. Has anyone else seen this?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:47:52 pm

The answer is to do the import outside of FCP, and then bring the clips in.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Apr 1, 2008 at 6:52:47 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "The answer is to do the import outside of FCP, and then bring the clips in."

It can be done that way but any information you entered into the "Comments" window won't carry over into FCP.

Also, if you happen to drag the XML files into FCP you'll still end up with duplicate clips.

The way I'm doing it, all the additional metadata are carried over. An important and useful difference if you used the logging feature to input additional comments or assigned a status to specific clips.

Since the show I produce is totally unscripted, I often use the "comments" window to make note of key things someone might have said or events that have taken place. It's the sort of information that simply won't fit in a clip's file name -- which I always feel should be kept as short as possible.

This is probably important for someone doing a documentary where all the shots should be properly logged to make it easier for an editor to find specific clips.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 1, 2008 at 6:40:04 pm

[Allen Cavedo] "Has anyone else seen this?"

Yes. To remove duplicates from the Browser select the first clipname by clicking on it. Then MOUSEOVER the second clipname. It will then become highlighted. Hit delete. Or you can command-click the first duplicate filename, mouseover the second one to highlight, continue to hold down the command (Apple) key, click the next clip filename, etc until they're all highlighted in the Browser. Then hit delete.

Now navigate to the folder where your actual files are stored using the "Import Files" command within FCP. Import and now your files will appear in the Browser with no duplicate names.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]