FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still Looking For Quality HD to SD Conversion For DVCAM Master

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Jones
Still Looking For Quality HD to SD Conversion For DVCAM Master
on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:29:33 pm

I would like to hear from anyone shooting on the EX-1 and creating beautiful images on a Final Cut Pro DV timeline and recording to DVCAM.
I have several projects in the works and I need to be able to deliver to my local media outlets on DVCAM.
I've tried the Ken Stone site suggestions and several others but am still not satisfied with the quality. 1080 60i footage seems to work best. But I have shot some 1080 30p recently which looks pretty flickery on a tube TV viewed out of a firewire port.
The Vortex Training video suggests editing HD directly on a SD timeline for the pan-and-zoom advantages. Their stuff looks great.
What are they doing to make their stuff look so nice?
Obviously not mastering to DVCAM or editing on a DV timeline.
They appear to be editing with Final Cut Pro as well.
I am open to any suggestions and am willing to take material to another facility that could provide Betacam masters if that is a quality option.
But my preference is to master to DVCAM and handle everything here.
Thanks for your advice.

Kevin Jones

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Kevin Jones
Re: Still Looking For Quality HD to SD Conversion For DVCAM Master
on Mar 28, 2008 at 5:55:32 pm

I wrote to Doug Jenson at Vortex Media, author of the "Mastering The Sony PMW-EX1" DVD set.

Here was his response...

Hi Kevin,

I'm glad that you liked the DVD.
Just about everything I produce gets output to DVD. I don't output to tape at all, and haven't for about three years, so I don't know if I can give you all the answers. However, here's my workflow for DVD. Maybe you can adapt it for DVCAM where necessary:

I believe it is very important to edit with Sequence settings that are as close as you can come to matching your final output. In other words, if you aren't going to author a Blu-ray disk or some other HD final product -- then don't edit in HD!! Edit in SD. Choose sequence settings that match your final output -- not the source footage. That's how I edited "Mastering the EX1" and it looks fine, right?

Here's how I edited "Mastering the EX1" and all of my other DVDs with FCP 6.

1) I shoot most of my footage 1080 30P HQ --- but I don't think that makes much difference in the final output.

2) I open a new Sequence in FCP and use the "DV NTSC 48Khz Anamorphic" preset . . . or non-anamorphic if the output will be a 4x3 DVD . . . yes, I still do those too.

3) I change the Field Dominance to "NONE"

4) I edit the entire program within that Sequence.

5) When I'm done editing, I then Export a QuickTime movie of the Sequence. I choose "Current Settings" and I do NOT choose to "Make Movie Self-Contained".

6) I then take that QuickTime movie and bring it into Compressor.

7) I then choose the Compressor preset for DVD Best Quality and modify a few of the settings (such as bitrate), but nothing major.

8) After that file is finished rendering, I bring it into DVD Studio Pro and author the DVD normally.

This is exactly how my EX1 DVD was produced, and it's the workflow I've been using with XDCAM HD for almost two years. VERY SIMPLE. No extra software, no extra rendering, nothing special at all. I do everyting EXACTLY how I demonstrate in the EX1 DVD and it looked good, right?

I hope that helps.

Doug
http://www.VortexMedia.com

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:14:09 pm

If we shot HD we edit HD than for our DVCAM copies I just set my kona 3 card to downconvert and bingo a nice looking DVCAM master. Haven't had one rejected by a network yet.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 29, 2008 at 6:28:42 pm

I also edit in HD and either down convert within my Media 100 editing system for DVCAM tape masters or for DVD I let BitVice do the down convert as well as the encode. Both these down converts provide excellant quality and are known for this feature. I don't understand why Doug Jensen suggests down converting before editing for DV. I always thought that it was best to stay in HD for as long as possible in the post process.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ron Coker
EX1 HD to SD Via Kona LHe Card
on Apr 14, 2008 at 11:13:24 pm

I'm seeking information on the use of a Kona LHe card to down sample Sony PMW-Ex1 video via SDI camera connection. Information regarding video quality, perhaps a frame grab, or your findings and recommendations would be very welcome.

My objective, to output a artifact free SD DVD. Results to date, disappointing. (3 months with EX1)

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]