FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 backup

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Filsinger
EX1 backup
on Mar 28, 2008 at 2:28:44 pm

First of all let me say that we liked our EX1 so much that we just got our second. The question I have involves backing up the cards. We have some major shoots coming up where we will have to offload the cards and reuse them. I would like to go to 2 drives at the same time. What would be the most efficient and practical means of doing this. Could you have 2 Lacie drives set up with a USB splitter or is there a better way of achieving this? I will have my 17" MacBok Pro. Your input is welcome and thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 backup
on Mar 28, 2008 at 7:58:32 pm

Hi Jonny,

This is the way I do it, and you can take from my workflow what you want. I use a G-Raid Mini for on-site backup instead of a USB drive because FW 800 speeds are faster than USB. My suggestion for you is if you want to have mirrored backups why not simply back up to the Macbook Pro's own hard drive instead of having to deal with two external drives and some sort of splitter cable. Later, back at the shop, you can connect another drive to the Macbook and transfer what's on the laptop's internal drive.

Using the Macbook Pro's Express 34 Slot it takes about 5 1/2 min. to transfer a full 16 Gbyte card to my FW 800 G-Raid Mini. I just drag and drop the BPAV folder from the card into the external. Afterwards I use Sony's Clip Browser to briefly preview the transferred clips. After I'm satisfied that everything transferred over properly I'll simply drag the SxS Pro card's BPAV folder to the trash and empty it. Done.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]