FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Picture Profile & White Balance

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Slowe
EX1 Picture Profile & White Balance
on Mar 24, 2008 at 9:00:58 pm

Can someone please tell me whether, if you include a specific Kelvin number in the profile white balance, the figure is automatically used when PP is activated and overides any other white balance setting. The kelvin number displayed on the screen does not seem to change when I activate my PP with its own Kelvin white balance figure.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
Re: EX1 Picture Profile & White Balance
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:49:53 pm

Related question(s) - why is it not possible to dial up the desired colour temperature? Why can it only be done using a card?
It seems a big oversight from the camera manufacturers. Instead of 'cheating' the light, or 'cheating' with the colour of the card, it would be great to do a normal white balance with white (or 18p.c. grey?), then adjust the displayed Kelvin reading according to preference.
For example, if you are in a room with fluoros and a skylight, or whatever, do a normal white balance, then manually adjust the result in say 100k increments to make the picture warmer/cooler as required.
I know the colour temperature works in more directions than simply warmer/cooler, but this sort of control would be a good start.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:31:35 pm

Derek, that's meant to be the point of Picture Profile because, among other settings, you can dial in a Kelvin number. My question was why does the Kelvin number displayed on the screen when you're shooting not tally with the figure you set in your PP? Another way to 'cheat' your white card is to use a warmer card from warm.cards.com (or something like that anyway). All this is wonderfully explained by Doug Jensen in his EX1 two disc DVD by Vortex Media but the answer to my query doesn't seem to be covered.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Mar 27, 2008 at 11:57:38 pm

Michael, you're absolutely right of course and I don't have an answer to your question although I'll experiment this weekend and let you know the results.
But when considering your query, it seemed illogical (of Sony) to have to set a Kelvin temperature using the PP because it's a fiddly way to handle it considering you might want to change it several times a day. With that in mind I wondered if there was a reason why it's not possible (on any camera that I know of) to manually adjust the Kelvin reading. I use color cards to cheat the temp but it would be cool to have manual control.
Anyway I'll see what happens when I do a PP test. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Robert Norman
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:01:59 pm

The Sony XDcamHD 330 and 350 models both allow manual adjustment of the Kelvin scale for white balance. It's
one of my best tools for on location shooting, especially in mixed lighting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]