FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Frazer
xdcam transfer
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:01:39 pm

I have Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and Xdcam Transfer 2.5.1 on a Mac Pro desktop and a Mac Book Pro. Importing clips into Final Cut Pro works fine on the Mac Pro, but on the laptop, the xdcam transfer shows the names and durations of the clips but no thumbnails, and if you double click to play a clip, it says "no media" in a black screen. This is the same whether I have the SxS card in the Mac Book slot or in the camera connected by usb. I have tried trashing and reinstalling Xdcam transfer but still the same results. Also, the results are the same whether I start Xdcam transfer on its own or through Final Cut Pro (File>Import>Xdcam). Any idea how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: xdcam transfer
on Mar 26, 2008 at 9:44:42 am

Jim,

In addition to having FCP 6.0.2 make sure you're also running at least OS 10.4.11 and Quicktime 7.3 for all this to work properly.

Re: your post in the FCP forum, the XDCAM EX codecs will be at the very bottom in the sequence presets list right below the ones for XDCAM HD. There are a number of them that cover the various EX shooting modes. If the presets are missing then something isn't installed right or you're missing an update somewhere.

When you connect your camera via USB or plug an SxS Pro card into the Macbook Pro's Express 34 slot does a device icon show up on the desktop?

- Don

Return to posts index

Jim Frazer
on Mar 26, 2008 at 3:53:33 pm

Thank you for the reply. Here is what was going on and how I fixed it. I had bought and installed a new copy of FCP right out of the box on my even newer Mac Book Pro which was running the very latest OS 10.5.2 and Quick Time - I had just run software update and installed everything. When I went to "About Final Cut Pro" it said Version 6.0.2. But, when I went to the A/V settings, it only showed xdcam hd, no xdcam ex. So, after much puzzlement, I finally went to the Final Cut support/download/updates page at Apple. You have to log in with both your Apple id and a FCP serial number. Then, after logging in, I ran Software Update again. Then it showed all these FCP updates to download and install, which I did. Now, everything seems to work fine. So apparently, Apple changed FCP slightly after they released the retail version I got, but they didn't assign a new version number. So, what I got in my retail package was not the "real" most up to date 6.0.2, but I couldn't tell that just by looking at the version number. I suppose this has happened to others, but they may not notice it if they are not trying to work with xdcam ex.

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
on Mar 26, 2008 at 6:34:09 pm

That is EXACTLY what happened to me this week--brand new MBP, latest FCP, but XDCAM Xfer didn't show clips. Software updates fixed everything just like That. Thanks for posting--everybody needs to read that one to avoid transfer problems.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:52:31 pm

[Chris Clifton] "Thanks for posting--everybody needs to read that one to avoid transfer problems."

Amen to that.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:51:40 pm

[Jim Frazer] " suppose this has happened to others, but they may not notice it if they are not trying to work with xdcam ex."

Thanks for posting back, Jim. Noticing on your part that there is more than one "version" of FCP 6.0.2 is very interesting. I've never heard of that before. Sometimes upgrading to the latest version of FCP doesn't automatically mean that the rest of the pro apps will update as well. Certain programs need other programs to be upgraded before things become fully functional. For example, there are recent versions of the Pro Apps Updater software that won't be available to you until you have a certain OS version, QT version etc. Then the latest Pro Apps updater will appear and allow you to update to even newer versions of your existing software. It's all very confusing sometimes.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]