FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Resolution from camera and to media

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Garman
EX1 Resolution from camera and to media
on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:00:12 pm

Maybe it's a deep dark secret that Sony doesn't want us to know, cause I sure haven't had an answer here and I can't figure out anyway to contact Sony XDCam on the web. I left a long email message but turns out I was talking to Sony-UK and never got a reply there either.

My question is, I know you can get 1920x1080 right off the live camera BNC for HD-SDI. At the same time it is doing that, what is it sending to the media? I've been told the media (SxS cards) can only record 1440x1080 period. If that's true, why are there quality settings in the menu? HQ, SP, Etc.
What resolution to they actually affect?

If the menu setting says HQ, is 1920 x 1080 actually being recorded on the media cards? Or is it only going out the BNC to HD-SDI live feed?

I'd love to get a definitive answer to this!
Thanks,
Sony, are you listening here?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 Resolution from camera and to media
on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:52:53 pm

[Steve Garman] "I've been told the media (SxS cards) can only record 1440x1080 period."

Not true. The HQ 1080i/p 35 VBR settings record a full 1920x1080 right to the card. The SQ setting is there to provide a seamless workflow with HDV cameras and this setting is at 1440x1080 25 CBR recording.

If you want the SDI port to stream a 1920x1080 signal you must be in the HQ mode. The colour space of 4:2:0 will be recorded to the card but the SDI port will be streaming a 4:2:2 signal with imbedded audio and time code.

Hope this clears it up for you.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Apr 5, 2008 at 8:55:35 pm

Don, If you later on put a card back into the EX1, play the media and capture it directly out of the HD-SDI spigot, will you be getting 4:2:2 and 1920x1080 like you would have gotten out of that same spigot when the camera was live?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 9, 2008 at 5:37:32 pm

Nope. Once recorded at 4:2:0 it transfers that way. 4:2:2 has to be captured live because the SDI stream bypasses the compression and comes right off the camera head.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]