FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording master back to XDCam disc with Final Cut (and making master b-roll discs)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Moore
Recording master back to XDCam disc with Final Cut (and making master b-roll discs)
on Mar 20, 2008 at 6:21:38 pm

Hello there
Sorry for the vague question- I work at a TV station using XDCam for shooting/editing (a mixture of SD and HD)... but they haven't worked out how to archive material... eg where to keep masters of finished programs, compilations of b-roll likely to be needed again etc.

Can the XDCam decks (we have PDW-F30 models) be used to record back onto with Final Cut? Is there anyone using them in this way- eg to generate master copies of programs or segments?

This station can't afford a server-based archive, and we can't archive onto digital tape so would this work? Could we make compilation discs of b-roll and slowly fill them up on XDCam? (Then we could re-use discs for shooting and save some more money).

I have previously worked in environments where DigiBeta was the standard and everything could be kept on tape, from finished programs to b-roll- can XDCam be used in the same way?

I asked this question on Apple's own forums and someone mentioned it can be done but is incredibly slow... does anyone else have this experience? ...or is this just a bad workflow?

Return to posts index

Greg Boston
Re: Recording master back to XDCam disc with Final Cut (and making master b-roll discs)
on Mar 24, 2008 at 5:49:59 am

Use the XDCAM Export tool from FCP file menu to put the sequence onto the disc. Note that you'll need to have the deck in the same mode as your XDCAM sequence or you'll get an error. Audio also has to be set to dual mono in the FCP preferences as well for the export to work. The XDCAM disc also has a 500mb General directory where you can copy supporting stuff like text files and still images that go along with the finished program. If there is sufficient room, you can put everything on one disc.

Sony PDW-F350, Apple FCP 5.1.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]