FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 to PDW330

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Hodgins
EX-1 to PDW330
on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:50:57 pm

I need to make a dvd copy of 2 full SxS cards from my ex-1. I can't seem to use xdcam transfer properly(I see the files but get no media message)Is there a way with FAM or other way to transfer HDV version of my files from firewire to my PDW330?Ideally I'd like to copy xdcam HQ files from the ex-1 to my 330's professional discs but hdv versions would be OK so I could at least make a DVD from the downconverted output on my 330.
Anyone?

Return to posts index

Glenn Hodgins
Re: EX-1 to PDW330
on Mar 20, 2008 at 5:07:31 pm

I found my sd output directly from ex-1 so have good ntsc dvd copies made. It would be nice to figure out how to get the 2 cameras talking to each other...I'd like to use professional discs for archiving ex-1 footage

Glenn Hodgins http://www3.sympatico.ca/fravensbergen/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 21, 2008 at 6:03:01 am

[Glenn Hodgins] "I found my sd output directly from ex-1 so have good ntsc dvd copies made."

"Good?" What's your intent here? Data or Video DVD? Just rewrap the SxS to MOV with the Transfer Tool. Then you can use iDVD or DVDStudioPro and make a video DVD.

[Glenn Hodgins] "would be nice to figure out how to get the 2 cameras talking to each other...I'd like to use professional discs for archiving ex-1 footage"

You can't use XDCAM discs for archiving EX1 footage as I noted the dimension difference in my other post to you.

Why would you even need the cameras to "talk" to each other? Get them into FCP and then edit. Backup the SxS to DL DVD data discs.

At some point Sony's "dump" XDCAM Player may also become a recorder and they MIGHT make it a compatible way to back up EX1 to XDCAM Pro disc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Hodgins
on Mar 21, 2008 at 2:17:26 pm

I'm currently archiving SxS cards on mirrored dual 750g sata drive units & trust this much more than my slow recording dl dvd recorder. In my experience DVD's I've burned have had a very high failure rate after a few months in storage or slightest scratch. Copying the xdcam folders with FAM or from FCP timeline would be ideal as professional disks are my preferred archive method. There must be a way of rewrapping or some kind of a workaround. I'll keep looking

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 21, 2008 at 3:12:20 pm

I'm not sure how you're storing/treating your DL-DVDs but going way back to CDs (I ran a multimedia dept for a time in the mid '90s), I can't recall more that one or two data disc failures and that was from the early days. I can still read data CDs from 1995. Buy TOP quality media (not too difficult to research) and store the discs protectively.

Hard drives are certainly OK in the short term and mirrored is good of course. I've certainly had more hard drive failures than optical disc failures over the years. I've also run into interface issues. I can read that data CD on almost any modern computer. I can't say that with SCSI Hard drives though. Both methods have their merits (and risks).

As it stands now, there's no way to back up 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 XDCAM discs though. That may change if Sony is willing.

I don't see the point of downconverting to HDV (the only way to use firewire/iLink on EX1) or making ntsc DVDs from SD out especially if you feel DVD is not reliable in the first place.

I should also mention there's a difference between backing up the BPAV folders and the files rewrapped as MOV (Final Cut Pro). Although the quality is the same, the latter is far less portable (reliant on FCP EX codec to read).

I really think you're making something that is very simple into something very complex. Back up your SxS to DL DVD or hard drive if you like. Your F330 is recorded to XDCAM disc. If you want everything in one place move them both to hard drive.

If/when Sony decides to make XDCAM disc compatible with 1920x1080 you'll have another option.

Return to posts index

Glenn Hodgins
on Mar 21, 2008 at 4:06:47 pm

timecode letterboxed DVD copies are a necessary part of my workflow as editing is done in various locations with different editors who like dvd's portability. I'm going to a remote Asian country for a month soon with both cameras & would much prefer SxS cards files copied on xdcam discs, even if they don't play from the camera. When I see the drives on my mac, from both computers, I see files that need to be copied. I don't like idea of having all footage of Ex-1 being on one hard drives array that could be lost or confiscated. For me files are files & should be possible to be copied to my xdcam disks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 21, 2008 at 5:52:26 pm

[Glenn Hodgins] "timecode letterboxed DVD copies are a necessary part of my workflow as editing is done in various locations with different editors who like dvd's portability"

An easy way to make timcode window dubs? That makes sense.

[Glenn Hodgins] "I'm going to a remote Asian country for a month soon with both cameras & would much prefer SxS cards files copied on xdcam discs, even if they don't play from the camera. "

Alas this is up to Sony. Until then there's no way xdcam disc can use the files. I don't think the xdcam discs work as data discs either. Let's see if Sony changes that at NAB.

[Glenn Hodgins] "For me files are files & should be possible to be copied to my xdcam disks."

Unfortunately for the time being it's DL DVD or Blu-ray discs. Just put them in secure cases. Not as rugged as XDCAM but that's what's available at the moment.

You might try putting the files into an XDCAM HD timeline but you're going to have to render. Then you'd have XDCAM HD that you might be able to output that to XDCAM disc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
deleted double post
on Mar 21, 2008 at 5:53:25 pm

deleted double post.

Return to posts index

Glenn Hodgins
on Mar 21, 2008 at 4:12:06 pm

timecode letterboxed DVD copies are a necessary part of my workflow as editing is done in various locations with different editors who like dvd's portability. I'm going to a remote Asian country for a month soon with both cameras & would much prefer SxS cards files copied on xdcam discs, even if they don't play from the camera. When I see the drives on my mac, from both cameras, I see files that need to be copied. I don't like idea of having all footage of Ex-1 being on one hard drives array that could be lost or confiscated. For me files are files & should be possible to be copied to my xdcam disks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 21, 2008 at 5:57:12 am

[Glenn Hodgins] "I need to make a dvd copy of 2 full SxS cards from my ex-1. I can't seem to use xdcam transfer properly(I see the files but get no media message)"

If you're using the Transfer tool you must be on Mac since it's Mac only. Clip Browser on the other hand is cross platform (but only on Intel Mac).

DVD Copy. Data? Use Clip Browser to copy SxS to hard drive and then burn to DL DVD.

[Glenn Hodgins] "other way to transfer HDV version of my files from firewire to my PDW330?"

Huh? So you want to find a way to downconvert XDCAM to HDV to go to an XDCAM HD camera????

[Glenn Hodgins] "Ideally I'd like to copy xdcam HQ files from the ex-1 to my 330's professional discs"

XDCAM EX is 1920x1080. XDCAM HD is 1440x1080. The XDCAM disks don't (yet) use 1920x1080

[Glenn Hodgins] "but hdv versions would be OK so I could at least make a DVD from the downconverted output on my 330.
Anyone?"

Huh? I don't get your reasoning at all here. DVD data? DVD Video? Why would use the 330 at all as an intermediary?

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:21:52 am

Can you transfer the contents of an EX1 SXS card to a DVD-R or CD-R? I am talking about the files and can be pulled into an editing system. I was wondering if I could use this method to send files to clients as a hard back up. I know there would be a file size limitation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]