FORUMS: list search recent posts

archive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
archive
on Mar 19, 2008 at 3:15:39 am

I'm new to the HD world and wonder how it works with going tapeless. What is everyone doing about archiving their HD footage?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: archive
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:55:11 am

DL-DVD. Perfect fit for 8GB card. Clip Browser can split 16GB into two 8GB folders. The one bother is that it seems to take about 30 minutes to burn an 8GB DL-DVD.

I'm sure others are just using hard drives.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:18:36 pm

Hey Craig,

Can you burn a data DL-DVD in OS 10.4 or do you need Toast for that? I have an older version of Toast that does not support dual-layer discs.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2008 at 6:04:35 pm

I'm using Toast 8.0.3.

You'd need to make sure your burner supports DL. Use the About This Mac command to check what formats are supported by your burner. You could probably even use Apple's Burn command although Toast has added flexibility.

If your burner does not support DL it's still not too big an issue . . . if you're on an Intel Mac. You'd be able to use Sony Clip Browser to split the BPAV folders into 4GB sizes and burn that to standard DVD-R.

If the version of Toast is the issue, upgrade. It's inexpensive.

BTW Toast 9 will supposedly encode to Blu-ray Video (Toast 8 supposedly can do data). That would provide an inexpensive alternative to Adobe Encore on the Mac. Apple is SO FAR BEHIND with Blu-ray support in DVDSP it's sad.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 22, 2008 at 1:53:15 pm

I bought a LaCie Blu-ray driver for archiving. I've got it for some 600US$. Also I bought some 50Gbs media for 35US$ each. I haven't tried yet because I have not 50Gbs of images worth to keep.
What I will archive there are blocks of clips that I've put together in FC. No recompression and two mono audio channels. So original quality. In fact i make those locks before editing in FC. If I would edit with independent clips, I could get crazy. The last job I finished had 21 hours footage (country life). How many clips would mean this when shooting with the EX-1?
Would be like working in iMovie with 21 hours footage.
Meanwhile I keep doing the same I've been doing when shooting with tapes. That's to make a small size copy (.mp4). I keep in a HD small copies of more than 200 hours footage. When I need to look for a picture, I look in this HD and I know in which tape I have to look.
My movies data base I made it directly in the video files. In the "Info' tab there is an space for the "Spotlight comment". You write here your key-words and only have to type it in the "Spotlight" window to find the clips with that word.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]