FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfering HDV Footage from EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Bryant
Transfering HDV Footage from EX1
on Mar 14, 2008 at 7:06:17 am

I have a Macbook Pro with the express slot.

How can I transfer the 25mb HDV footage from the cards onto a hard drive or DVD in an avi. format for clients who have Windows and Adobe Premiere?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Transfering HDV Footage from EX1
on Mar 14, 2008 at 10:59:11 am

I have just transferred HDV direct as video from the EX1 via firewire to the HDV deck Sony M10. Could you not do this and then, if they can't play the tape, make an SD DVD?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bryant
on Mar 14, 2008 at 6:42:13 pm

No I am a freelance videographer and I don't have time to do that. Isn't there a way to convert the SP MP4 files from the cards using the Sony software on my Macbook Pro into HDV avi files that my clients could import into Premiere and other Windows NLEs?

Jonathan Bryant

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2008 at 4:03:34 am

Even if you were able to convert your EX clips to .avi instead of .mov files how were you going to transfer them to your clients' editing suite(s)? You can't use a Mac formatted hard drive for this because the PC machines won't be able to read it unless the drive is formatted in FAT32.

If you use a FAT32 drive you'll have to split the clips into 4 Gbyte chunks using Sony's Clip Browser because that's the file size limit of FAT32. Or you can get the program MacDrive which has to be installed on the PC, allowing your Windows clients to see and work with a Mac formatted drive. There are plugins for QT Pro that converts .mov files to .avi files.

The easiest/cheapest solution would be to have your clients install the Windows version of the Sony Transfer Tool (free) on their machines and have them import the clips directly from the SxS Pro cards. This is the reason that Sony chose to use the FAT32 format for the memory cards in the first place so they could be used by both Mac and PC. This is also the reason long clips are always split into 4 Gbyte clips when you import from the cards.

If you want to burn the raw .avi files to DVD for transfer you'll have to import as .mov first using the Transfer Tool, transcode to.avi using QT Pro with an .avi plugin, then if a particular .avi file ends up being larger than can be fit onto a single or dual layer DVD-R you'll have to split it up first.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bryant
on Mar 16, 2008 at 12:19:29 am

I usually never see my client's edit suite. Sony MUST include in the transfer utility a export to .avi option. I can burn discs or copy to a FAT32 drive no problem. But it is unacceptable to have to use Quicktime to convert to .avi. Adobe needs to get on the ball too and include support for XDCAM as standard without using some $500 plugin. Though Adobe has gotten better, they are still always the last one to come on board with anything.

Jonathan Bryant

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 16, 2008 at 4:11:42 am

[Jonathan Bryant] "Though Adobe has gotten better, they are still always the last one to come on board with anything."

Well I haven't seen anything from AVID yet as far as supporting the EX codecs. Maybe they're trying to out-wait each other.

BTW, there's nothing I can see in the Mac version of the Sony Transfer Tool that allows an .avi export. What about buying a cheap Windows laptop (with Express 34 slot) and installing the Sony Transfer Tool on that for .avi export. If you're doing a lot of work with Windows clients the laptop would probably pay for itself in like 2 jobs.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]