FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xdcam EX for PAL SD Anamorphic Digibeta delivery for broadcast

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny White
Xdcam EX for PAL SD Anamorphic Digibeta delivery for broadcast
on Mar 12, 2008 at 10:53:02 am

Hi,

I know this has been discussed endlessly but I'm reading everything and still confused!!

Basically I shoot documentaries for SD PAL broadcast, to date I either shoot digibeta or DV (gave up on HDV...).

I'm considering an Xdcam EX as I like the sound of 35Mbs XDCAM.

The broadcaster is currently not interested in HD so I'm wondering if I will get good quality pictures (better than my z1u in DVCam mode.., or even better close to digibeta quality) if I shoot 35mbs and downconvert for delivery via SDI to digibeta (I can use 10bit uncompressed).

Any simple workflows and will I notice an appreciable boost in quality? or should I stick with the z1u and DVCam and save myself a bucket of money???

Thanks in advance,

Johnny White

Return to posts index

derek hall
Re: Xdcam EX for PAL SD Anamorphic Digibeta delivery for broadcast
on Mar 17, 2008 at 2:59:11 am

Previously I got better results with DVCam on a Z1 than with HDV which I don't like at all.

I now have the EX1 and it was a good choice. Our current project is for similar delivery specs as yours. We are editing in HD from the EX1 on FCS with a Kona board. When we are ready to master we will squeeze the image in AE and output an anamorphic master to DigiBeta, which the broadcaster will ARC to 14x9. We ran a test before going this route and it works.

If you need to deliver in 4x3 you could use the 4x3 frame markers on the EX1 and pillar-box the picture for delivery. Either way I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in the fantastic picture quality from the EX1 and if you are careful your 'down conversion' will preserve many of the advantages of shooting in that format. An alternative is to drop the final program edit onto a DV timeline - I'm sure you'll still see an improvement in picture quality over shooting in DV.

I'm completely sold on the EX1 and saying goodbye to tape.

Return to posts index

Johnny White
Re: Xdcam EX for PAL SD Anamorphic Digibeta delivery for broadcast
on Mar 18, 2008 at 3:00:14 pm

Thanks for your response (I also read your previous post on EX1 setup). I am quite sold on this camera, waiting to hear from commissioning editors and will go ahead with purchase if positive!!

You mention After FX for the 16:9 anamorphic output. I don't usually use after FX (though if it was going to significantly improve quality I'd buy it). My thoughts were to drop the HD material into a 10bit SD anamorphic timeline and render, any thoughts??
I use a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme (SD) for SDI output though I wouldn't use this for downconvert...

I would imagine a lot of programme makers are going through this at the moment as I don't see hi-def broadcasting taking off in Ireland for quite a while.

Thanks again.

Johnny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]