FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconvert HD to SD from PMW in Final Cut

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Grosswald
Downconvert HD to SD from PMW in Final Cut
on Mar 11, 2008 at 6:59:15 pm

I have been trying to figure out the best way to downconvert HD footage shot with the PMW-EX1 to SD. I've found a lot of confusing and conflicting information, and I'm wondering if there is an ideal way to do this using Final Cut Pro.

I know this is a relatively vague question, so I can answer any specifics you need to help answer.

Do you do it before editing? After editing? Is there something to do while importing? Etc.?

Thank you for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Tony Robinson
Re: Downconvert HD to SD from PMW in Final Cut
on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:39:38 pm

What is your final output? SD DVD or a tape based?

Tony Robinson

Return to posts index

Seth Grosswald
on Mar 13, 2008 at 7:25:08 pm

Sorry for the delay Tony. Lets say DVD for now, but for editing purposes as well. Is it possible to convert prior to editing, or is it better to wait until afterwards?

Return to posts index

Tony Robinson
on Mar 13, 2008 at 10:56:19 pm

Definitely wait until afterwords. That way you have an HD master of your program for future use. For downconversion to SD for burning an SD DVD using either iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, check out this link:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/ex1_sd_output_young.html

This process has been working great for me.

Tony Robinson

Return to posts index

marx franzen
on Oct 13, 2008 at 11:41:37 pm

Hello!!
Please help me.
When i downconvert using that link, do i have do shoot using HQ or SP footage?
Is there some diference using firewire or direct capture via log and transfer?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 14, 2008 at 1:03:34 am

[marx franzen] "When i downconvert using that link, do i have do shoot using HQ or SP footage?"

iLink is for SQ/HDV mode only. Since the EX doesn't support direct (log and) capture via iLink to a computer NLE you would have to set your editor to "non-controllable device" in your NLE's preferences in order to make it work. The EX doesn't support its HQ mode via iLink at all.

The EX series cameras support transferring clips shot in all modes via USB or removing the SxS Pro card from the camera and inserting it into a laptop's Express 34 slot or an Express card reader connected to a computer and transferring that way.

- Don

Return to posts index

marx franzen
on Oct 15, 2008 at 2:16:18 pm

Thank you!!

Two last questions please.

To achieve good results editing hdv, the only way is shooting SP and capturing via I link.
Or can i shoot in HQ? Whats the diference?

Downconverting in FCP allows me only 16:9 in letter box or can i have the option to view in 4:3 (old televisions,) without letterbox and 16:9 when i play this dvd in wide televison?
Can I have both things together?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]