FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD with EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gunn
SD with EX-1
on Mar 10, 2008 at 4:23:12 pm

I do not have my camera with me to test so: Has anyone tried shooting this puppy in SD? Just curious.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: SD with EX-1
on Mar 10, 2008 at 4:48:10 pm

The EX1 does not shoot in SD but you can have the camera do a down convert to SD through its many output ports, SDI, component etc.

- Don

Return to posts index

rafael amador
Re: SD with EX-1 (and in FC?)
on Mar 10, 2008 at 5:42:25 pm

I haven't try to record he SD output yet (BlackMagic cable broken), but I've plugged it to the SD IN of my JVC monitor and looks great.
I'm more concern about downconverting in FC. Until now I think that what I'm getting looks wonderful. At least in my MBP.
What about your experience?

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: SD with EX-1 (and in FC?)
on Mar 10, 2008 at 9:17:55 pm

Rafael, I am getting my new EX1 this week and will be shooting in SP mode which is HDV I believe. That way I get 140 minutes on two 16 gb cards and can transfer the media to tape via firewire. That is presumably not quite what you meant though. The camera only shoots XDCAM (HQ mode) or HDV (SP mode) I believe.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Mar 11, 2008 at 11:19:11 am

SD downconvert in camera looks good, better than edit suite downconvert in my opinion.

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 11, 2008 at 11:51:12 am

Chris, vital question for me. Which would look better, shoot in HQ and downconvert to SD in camera thence to DV tape into a DSR 20 and edit as DV, or shoot in SP then down to tape to the HDV M10. I then convert to uncompressed HD through Convergent Design's HD-Connect for editing in Media 100 HD. For digital tape and DVD distribution I then of course have to downscale either in Media 100 (very good) or for DVD's in BitVice (even better downscale). With the former route I don't of course have the option of an HD master for future use. How soon will HD become the norm, many years yet I think.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2008 at 12:25:17 pm

Of course you could drop the HD into an SD timeline. I did that recently and was quite happy. It gives you the flexibility to reframe the shot, do a fake dolly or tracking shot, cut to close up from a longer shot as if you had multiple cameras.

Return to posts index

Kevin Jones
on Mar 11, 2008 at 12:49:19 pm

Craig,
Could you elaborate on your workflow?:
Dropping HD footage into an SD timeline.
Thanks.

Kevin Jones

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

rafael amador
on Mar 11, 2008 at 2:27:30 pm

I've been dropping the EX-1 footage (HQ) in a DV sequence. A bit of Color Correction and then changing the codec to Proress HQ. Rendering in high precision and Motion rendering BEST.
What I've got until now, I think is very good.
BTW I think that when going from 1080 to 480 or 576 there is not problem with field orders (no way for a line shift). At least what I get in my MBP monitor do not show any interlaing problem. I have to check it with my CRT interlaced monitor. But next week. Blackmagic out of order. I want to heck too how it works the Nattress "Chroma sharpening 4.2.0" with the EX-1 footage.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 11, 2008 at 3:57:23 pm

The only problem I've encountered with this method is when speeding up or slowing down footage in FCP. For some reason, with this function, the field order isn't changed, so you have to apply the effect to the original HD clip, render, and then save it as a .mov before adding it to your SD timeline. Kind of a hassle! I don't know if there might be other filters that might be affected by this issue.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2008 at 4:10:29 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "when speeding up or slowing down footage in FCP. For some reason, with this function, the field order isn't changed"

It might be why it's best to just use the HD clip in an SD timeline. Why downconvert first unless one's NLE can't handle the HD clips?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 11, 2008 at 4:40:40 pm

That's the problem, Craig. If you drop the HD clip into the SD timeline and then do a speed change, you get field order problems. You have to apply the speed change first and save it out as a separate Quicktime movie before bringing it into your SD sequence. Try it.

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Mar 11, 2008 at 1:12:56 pm

Never shot anything in SP so can't help with that one. However, capturing in HD permits pan & scan in post. Great results with v slow panning/crabbing on locked off shots... try it!

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 11, 2008 at 4:37:12 pm

Michael,

How do you plan to get the footage from the camera to the DSR20?
The deck has no SDI or component inputs. Are you going to transfer to the computer first and then out to tape? Just wondering, because I was considering the same approach.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:23:27 pm

Chris, I am not going into a DSR 20 directly. I am going into the HDV M10 deck, then up to HD into Media 100 edit then downscale and into the DSR 20 as DVCAM. All this because Media 100 can't take XDCAM yet and the HD in through SDI has embedded audio which it also can't take! What a performance, film was never like this!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:25:09 pm

Geeze....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]