FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acquisition with EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gunn
Acquisition with EX-1
on Mar 10, 2008 at 1:35:13 pm

I need some advice! I will be shooting a commercial project for the next three days with a Sony EX-1. The ultimate use will be SD dvds. I was not happy with the first project with this camera. Would anyone care to suggest settings for the best acquisition and conversion. I edit with Edius 4.6

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Acquisition with EX-1
on Mar 10, 2008 at 2:57:38 pm

Unless you explain what you weren't happy with, suggesting settings is about as useful as giving someone color correction advice over the phone.

The only issue I've has so far going to SD DVD is line twitter which only happens on shots with thin horizontal lines

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Mar 10, 2008 at 3:08:29 pm

OK. The last time, I used 1080 30p and the image was not nearly as strong as the image from a Sony DSR300. The resolution was weak and muddy by comparison after dumbing down to SD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 10, 2008 at 4:45:12 pm

[Dan Gunn] "The resolution was weak and muddy by comparison after dumbing down to SD."

I've had no such issue when converting to SD. The resulting picture is noticeably superior to anything my SD cameras are capable of producing.

My suggestion is to make sure you stay progressive throughout the entire workflow process, otherwise you'll see a result such as you've described.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2008 at 5:28:35 pm

Except for the line twitter issue, which only happens on certain (very few) shots, the downconverts look great here too. Certainly nothing "weak" or muddy.

I'm not sure what you even mean by weak and muddy. Desaturated and soft?

Return to posts index

Kevin Jones
on Mar 11, 2008 at 1:18:44 am

Don,
Glad to hear you are pleased with your results.
Could you give us a run down on the workflow you use to convert EX-1 HD to SD?
Which formats are you shooting with and which flavor of SD video are you mastering?
And what is your final product being used for?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin Jones

2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

jim Kinsey
on Mar 11, 2008 at 2:37:14 am

this was posted the other day.. i will be buying a EX1 in the next few days and plan on trying out this work flow for HD>SD conversion..

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/ex1_sd_output_young.html

Jim Kinsey
Director of Photography
SWP Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2008 at 12:19:31 pm

I've tried that and was not happy with the results. In my own tests I've found editing in XDCAM EX native and downconverting in Compressor 3 to look better. The above might work if you need to go out to DV/DVCAM (I haven't tried that) but I definitely find doing the downconvert better in Compressor.

Return to posts index

jim Kinsey
on Mar 11, 2008 at 12:28:33 pm

so you use the advance...dv anamorphic and the results are goodin compressor3? I have done the same with the HVX with 24pn footage and it looks great.

JK

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 12, 2008 at 7:47:21 am

Kevin,

I drop the native EX clips into a DV NTSC Anamorphic timeline right away. This is because I do multicam shoots using the EX and two Mini DV cameras. All cameras are shooting progressive widescreen. The problem I ran into initially is that by default FCP thinks that everything in a DV NTSC timeline is supposed to be interlaced. So before you drag anything into the SD timeline make sure that the field order of your sequence is set to "none." But it doesn't end there. Even after dropping progressive DV NTSC footage into the new sequence FCP will flag the footage as interlaced. So now you have to go to the master clips in the Browser, right or control click in the field order column and change the field order to none otherwise your footage will look like crap. Since my EX footage was brought in using the HQ 1080p 30 VBR codec FCP will not flag it as interlaced, even after dropping it into the DV timeline.

If you want to do multiclip editing with other SD footage you'll have to get Compressor to downconvert the EX footage first because FCP won't let you edit multiclips with different sized footage. It all has to be either DV or XDCAM but not both. You can, of course edit EX footage natively in the DV timeline along with DV footage, you just can't create a multiclip.

Once the edit is done then I just render and export a self-contained DV NTSC Anamorphic movie for DVD or you can output to tape depending on your delivery. This workflow is for a project with minimal graphics. If I have a graphics-intensive project I'll do everything the same but use the DV/DVCPRO 50 codec.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rick Bronks
on Apr 16, 2008 at 8:48:38 am

Hi Don,
I also do something like you do with the multiclips.. but i was wondering.. do you ever drop the quality of the EX1 to DVCAM or even the 1440 frame size.. I use the F355 and would love to have the EX1 as a second camera without the down-converting in compressor. Have you tried the quality drop, and if so what do you think?

Rick Bronks
Forcefed Media LTD

http://www.forcefed.co.uk

Forcefed Media. Not bitter. Just twisted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]