FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-EX1 steadyshot and vignette in the far end of the lens related problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christos Kostavasilis
PMW-EX1 steadyshot and vignette in the far end of the lens related problem
on Mar 8, 2008 at 1:18:33 pm

Hello...

This is my first post to this great forum but unfortunately I have to report a problem related to EX1 and steadyshot function.

Yesterday while I was fooling around with my new EX1 camera i've noticed a weird vignette issue in the tele position of the lens and a few mm to the wide direction. It was a very weird vignette because it was moving while i was making some quick shocking moves to the right or left direction. Further "investigation" of the issue pin-point the steadyshot function of the camera.
This vignette effect was disappearing when the steadyshot function was turned off.

Has anyone else can confirm that problem?

Here is a video in divx format showing that effect.

http://rapidshare.com/files/97961412/vignette.and.steadyshot.avi.html

At first the steadyshot function is turned on until I pass my hand front of the lens. After that I'm switching it off for a while and then again off and on a few times just to show the effect.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PMW-EX1 steadyshot and vignette in the far end of the lens related problem
on Mar 8, 2008 at 2:01:33 pm

What you're seeing is another variation on the Vignette issue that some cameras have. Search this forum using that key word and you'll see simple test you can do to see if you're camera has the issue (it apparently does). For many people, it only becomes obvious when Steady Shot is on.

If you call Sony support and explain the issue, they'll tell you to send in the camera and they'll realign the lens. Apparently it is/was most common with the first shipment of the cameras but a few are still reporting it.

Return to posts index

Christos Kostavasilis
Re: PMW-EX1 steadyshot and vignette in the far end of the lens related problem
on Mar 8, 2008 at 6:02:11 pm

Hello Craig...

Thanks for the quick reply.
Its very frustrating to hear that. My camera has 400XXX S.N so I was thinking that its something else than the well known vignette problem. Also the problem it is not in the near to 15mm zoom area and its only visible when the steady shot is on.

Unfortunately its Weekend now and Monday here in Greece is a special holiday, so I will be able to contact Sony at Tuesday.

Thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]