FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 into AVID

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Painter
EX1 into AVID
on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:50:26 am

I want to download EX1 media into a firewire drive via a Macbook pro.
From that firewire drive upload the same EX1 media (footage) into a PC os AVID.
I would like to use a G-Safe Drive with 2x 250GB drives in a raid so I have instant redundancy.

My question is, can this be done? Going from a Mac to a PC on the same drive any drive?

I will be shooting 1080i 23.97 @ 35mbs

Any HELP or other suggestions would Greatly be appreciated!!!!

Sam Painter

P I C T O R
Productions, Inc.

sam@pictorprod.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 into AVID
on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:20:39 pm

[Sam Painter] "Going from a Mac to a PC on the same drive any drive? "

If you want to use a hard drive with both platforms it needs to be formatted in FAT32 so both machines can read and write to it. You can format a hard drive in FAT32 using your Mac's Disk Utility program. The SxS Pro memory cards come already formatted in FAT32 and this is the formatting used by the camera when it erases the cards to clear them off.

There is a 4 Gbyte file size limit when using FAT32 and that's why long video clips are always split into 4 Gbyte chunks when transferring footage from the cards. The Sony Transfer software will combine the sections into one clip and make it whole again. Using a hard drive formatted in FAT32 binary should be perfect for working between Windows and Mac platforms.

If for some reason you'd rather not format a hard drive in FAT32 you can always buy a Windows program called "Mac Drive" which will allow you to connect and use any Mac OS Extended drive with a Windows machine.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rick Dolishny
Re: EX1 into AVID
on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:42:16 pm

There's no way to bring in 35mbps into Avid. 25 you can bring in via firewire as HDV.

You have to use a conversion utility I found here on the COW that re-renders everything. Sorry, that's the best we've got at least until before NAB.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]