FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems importing EX1 footage / BPAV folders

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harner Gral
Problems importing EX1 footage / BPAV folders
on Mar 2, 2008 at 1:49:46 pm

I also have this problem..

Whilst shooting on a job i transfered the BPAV folders onto my MBP, by inserting the SXS cards and copying the files. I then nervously deleted all files from the card as i obviously needed the space.

I now try to import the file the usual method:

FCP (6.0.2) Import > Sony XDCam (version 2.5.1

In the transfer software i click ' add' or from the drop down 'add source', locate the folder which the BPAV folder is sitting in, (have also tried accessing the BPAV folder directly). Each BPAV folder has its own folder. Try importing. Transfer software scans the folder but comes back with 0 files.

I can play the files no problem in the XDCAM EX clip browser.

A couple of things that may have caused a problem:

1. Deleting the files on the SXS card via the mac instead of on the camera may have caused some kind of formatting problem?

2. Renaming of BPAV folder. (Don't think so). Have not tampered with the contents of the BPAV folders.

The remaining content currently on the sxs cards transfers into FCP fine. This was the stuff i shot after deleting the card via the mac.

I will soon try putting the files back onto the sxs card and importing that way. This is not too cool though as it is more lengthy process on the job which is not always possible on the job.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Problems importing EX1 footage / BPAV folders
on Mar 2, 2008 at 2:22:23 pm

Take the BPAV file you had copied onto the MBP and move it into it's own folder and call it CARD #1. Go back and try again. You need to make a new folder for each BPAV file.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

gary coler
Re: Problems importing EX1 footage / BPAV folders
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:21:36 pm

i make a copy of the sony file then export the mxf files to the hard drive next i burn sthe sony file and the mxf files to a dvd. i use the camera to format the card.
good luck
gary

Return to posts index

Harner Gral
Re: Problem Solved
on Mar 2, 2008 at 5:59:08 pm

Thanks guys,

Micheal, as I mentioned I had each BPAV folder renamed and in its own separate folder to start with, but for sake of trying something new I set the name back to its original title 'BPAV' and moved it into another folder called 'CARD #1' and guess what:?

..yes, it worked..! I then tried again with another of the files but this time i didn't revert the folder to its original title "BPAV" and just as before it wasn't recognised.

Doing this in a few different ways i discovered that yes the BPAV folder needs to be in its own folder but its original 'BPAV' title should not be changed. By all means you can name the folder it sits in to whatever you want.. CARD #1 or whatever

phew!!

Hope this helps any others who may have had similar problems, or was this just really obvious in the first place? Perhaps I should invest in the Vortex Media DVD after all..

While i'm here, what's the deal with formatting cards? Is it not good practice to remove contents of a card to the trash and then empty the trash before removing and recording onto the card again?

Thanks again Michael for the inspiration to have another go..

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 2, 2008 at 6:28:22 pm

Regarding the formatting of cards, I just erased the contents of 4 cards using the "erase all clips" command. After that, one of the cards kept giving me the error message, "Media needs to be restored." I would restore the card and of course, there would be no clips. This happened every time I powered up the camera, and only with this one card. Finally, I just re-formatted the card, and now, everything is fine. So, even though the advice on the Vortex Media DVD is to erase clips instead of re-formatting, I think I will be re-formatting from now on.

Return to posts index

Harner Gral
on Mar 2, 2008 at 6:34:46 pm

Thanks for the tip..

Return to posts index

jim Watt
on Mar 2, 2008 at 8:16:22 pm

We simply move the BPAV folder to the trash and then dump the trash before ejecting the card. The problem you ran into is caused by ejecting the S x S card before dumping the trash.

Formatting the card is a solution of last resort, since we keep our setup on one or two cards and don't want to erase the file.

We've done this with about 50 folders and it works great.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina"

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:28:16 pm

Great idea!

Return to posts index

Todd Dempsey
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:32:11 am

Well I tried that too,
Still no Joy.
Same problem

I have the latest Sony software but no luck.

I'm thinking right now, that the install of the software didn't work right.

MCP 10.4
FCP 6.0.2

Todd Dempsey
Salt River Project

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]