FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 and Rolling Shutter?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jones
EX-1 and Rolling Shutter?
on Feb 27, 2008 at 4:35:23 pm

I'm close to purchasing an EX-1, but I noticed that they're having a "field day" over on the Panasonic board about the rolling shutter issues of the EX-1. Has anyone had a problem with this, and what would be the biggest issue to overcome?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX-1 and Rolling Shutter?
on Feb 27, 2008 at 5:06:10 pm

[David Jones] "I noticed that they're having a "field day" over on the Panasonic board about the rolling shutter issues of the EX-1"

Because that's more important to them then the EX1's great lens with manual controls, 1/2" chips that are 1920x1080, the ability to put over 50 minutes on a 16GB card EVEN at 1080p30 or 720p60, great low light performance, the ability to copy the card many times faster than real time.

Yes rolling shutter can be seen when a photographer's flash goes off, when I accidently kick the tripod, do a whip pan for example. Sometimes when tracking a very fast moving object you can even catch it's effect on background objects. You'll just have to measure that against its advantages.

I did. When the HVX200 first came out it only took me a few minutes to decide the whole thing was impractical for me as well as too many issues with the image. When I played with the EX1 over the EX1 over the course of several trade shows as well as the first demo model my VAR got (I had over 3 hours of exclusive time with it) I kept finding MORE I liked about the EX1.

There are even a few folks who've sold their HVXs for EX1s.

. . .
You mean they're not complaining that the EX1 can't record to miniDV?

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Mar 5, 2008 at 8:27:06 pm

Craig,

[Craig Seeman] "Yes rolling shutter can be seen when a photographer's flash goes off, when I accidently kick the tripod, do a whip pan for example. Sometimes when tracking a very fast moving object you can even catch it's effect on background objects. You'll just have to measure that against its advantages."

Yeah! Mr. Green's article is in part a red herring as far as the EX1 is concerned, because a lot of the dreadfull footage was shot with a consumer Canon HV20. There's a brand new article in HDVideoPro (unfortunately not available on the WEB) about a shoot with 4 cams at a Columbus, OH airshow by a top DP, 2 XDCAM 350s and 2 EX1s. They guy just raves about the EX1, saying the footage from the EX's is virtually indistinquishable from the 350s and better in lower light. And get this, They did 2 shot series with the EXs, one with the EX mounted behind the cockpit of a stunt plane pulling 10 G's, and the other out the rear open hatch of a C130 at a flight of old fighters with the EX on a monopod under intense wind buffeting. Both situations involved using the SteadShot function. His word for the footage from both was uniformly "stunning", with no mention of any shutter artifacts. The EXs were used for other stuff on the ground as well, including a series of trucking shots from a golf cart and in all cases "stunning."

It seems to me, used properly, any rolling shutter artifacts on the EX1, except still photo flashes, are going to be minimal to non-existent, and as you say, well worth it for the other advantages.

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 7, 2008 at 7:09:01 am

I saw the footage at a presentation he gave in L.A., and it's all true. That is what convinced me to buy the camera. We were watching it projected on a large screen, and I don't think anybody in the room could tell which footage was from which camera.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 27, 2008 at 5:13:59 pm

Let them have there fun, the P2 is a good camera with an extremely small HD resolution that uses expensive cards. And yes you won't like what you'll get with the EX1 from camera flashes if you are a wedding videographer. But you will love the incredible image from the new Exmor 1/2 CMOS chips.

Here is something you I recommend you take a look at.http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

I love this little EX1 camera and I will deal with the rolling shutter.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Mar 2, 2008 at 2:02:14 pm

How does the rolling shutter handle flourescent lighting? I read that there is an issue with this as well.

Rick

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Mar 4, 2008 at 8:04:18 pm

Some of the first things I shot with the EX1 was in the kitchen under fluorescent lights. No problems.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Jeff Bloch
on Mar 4, 2008 at 9:05:18 pm

We had the same issue when we first did a demo. Here is the solution we came up with.
The shutter is by factory default set to 1/24 a second. It has a strange "rolling shutter" look when shooting 1080 24p. Disappointing at first because we shot a full commercial with this factory setting. Then playing with the camera on an Sony HD monitor back at the station we made some observations and messed with the settings.
On the front of the camera switch the shutter to the "on" position.(duh) Then go into the menu settings and change the shutter speed to 1/48 or 1/50 a second. This smoothed the image out significantly during pans and moving subjects.
After playing with this... we were more then happy with the results and bought 3 to start with.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Bloch
Commercial Production Manager
CBS Television, Sacramento

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Mar 5, 2008 at 4:58:12 pm

Thanks for all the info on this issue. It does seem to me that problems with floresent lighting could be taken care of through different shutter settings (or Clearscan?) As someone who comes from a film background, I love the fact that this camera has the ability to adjust the shutter angle! The only other camera out there that can, is the Panasonic 3000 (also the only other camera that shoots full-raster, at least until you get into the high-end Sonys/Arri/Red). Can't wait to get my hands on one :o)

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Mar 6, 2008 at 1:13:39 am

The HVX has Clear scan and the Canon XL1s has it, too.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

james buchmann
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:50:42 am

Guys,

I am planning on using an EX-1 for proffesional skateboarding. This will involve quick movement and plenty of motion in the images. I am concerned about the rolling shutter, and ways to provoke it or calm it down. Does shutter speed, low light, steadyshot, fluorescent light effect the rolling shutter directly? Also Shooting with lights on a dimmer and pumping them up, will that cause an issue with the rolling shutter (such as photo flashes)

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]