FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't import XDCAM files into Sony XDCAM Transfer program/FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Courtney Whitman
Can't import XDCAM files into Sony XDCAM Transfer program/FCP
on Feb 27, 2008 at 2:01:13 am

Hello,
My colleague shot some stuff with the Sony PMW-EX1, and rather than connecting the camera to a computer and using the Sony XDCAM Transfer program, he swaped the files right off the card and onto a hard drive. He also ran the files through the XDCAM Clip Browser (could this have corrupted them somehow?) He has confessed to be that he thinks he altered the file structure of the media after dumping it on to his hard drive. Now I am trying to import these files into FCP using the Sony XDCAM Transfer tool and to no avail. When choose "Add" in the Transfer Tool and locate the folder/file to be imported, it is completely greyed out. I've also tried to manually drag them in - no luck. Has anyone ever encountered this? Any suggestions would be extremely helpful - I've been researching this online for about a day now and haven't found anything.
Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can't import XDCAM files into Sony XDCAM Transfer program/FCP
on Feb 27, 2008 at 2:49:00 am

Do you have Final Cut Pro 6.0.2? You must have this.

Did he use the Clip Browser on a Windows computer to put them on the hard drive? That might wrap them to MXF depending how it was done. Otherwise Clip Browser on the (Intel) Mac is only a copy tool

You should be the BPAV folder into another folder and then use "Add" with the Transfer Tool. It will then see inside that folder to the BPAV folder. You can not Add the BPAV folder directly.

Return to posts index

Courtney Whitman
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:00:00 pm

Thanks so much for responding.

Yes, I am using Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and the Sony XDCAM HD easy setup. My colleague used Clip Browser on the (Intel) Mac, and all the files were wrapped as MP4s. I didn't realize that you cannot add the BPAV folder directly - thank you for your suggestion. I put the BPAV folder into another folder and chose "Add..." with the transfer tool. I got farther than ever before! The scanning box actually popped up! However, immediately after I got an error message reading "Error Scanning Device: Failed to execute query - unable to open database file." Ugg. Do you, or anyone else out there in internet land have any thoughts about this?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:13:57 pm

Perhaps you need to delete the XD Cam Transfer program and use this updated version
http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:22:37 pm

[Courtney Whitman] "es, I am using Final Cut Pro 6.0.2"
That's good.

[Courtney Whitman] "and the Sony XDCAM HD easy setup"
It won't have any impact on import but you should be using one of the Sony XDCAM EX easy setups. The HD setups match the Disc, not SxS card sources.

[Courtney Whitman] "My colleague used Clip Browser on the (Intel) Mac, and all the files were wrapped as MP4s."
That's how they are from the BPAV folders. the Intel Mac Clip Browser does nothing to change or re-wrap the files. It's simply an organized copy utility.

[Courtney Whitman] "I put the BPAV folder into another folder and chose "Add..." with the transfer tool. I got farther than ever before! The scanning box actually popped up!"
Good. You've gotten that far.

[Courtney Whitman] "The scanning box actually popped up! However, immediately after I got an error message reading "Error Scanning Device: Failed to execute query - unable to open database file." Ugg. Do you, or anyone else out there in internet land have any thoughts about this?"

Uh Oh. Hopefully your friend didn't "mess" with the folder structure after copying the BPAV. The XFER Tool needs to see the original folder structure because those XML, SMI, PPN, BIM files give the XFER Tool important info

There have been cases where people have shot using Clock Time at 24p and can't import the files. If that's the case the fix is to follow Mike Palmer's post and download the new Sony Xfer tool. The camera came with version 2.1 but had bugs that 2.5.1 fixes. So give that a try and see if you can then import the files.

Return to posts index

Hilary Koob-Sassen
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:02:39 pm

Hi,
I had dragged 5 EX1 BPAV folders direct to my laptop. I finally gave up trying to import these directly into xdcamtransfer and instead carefully re-dragged them onto formated sxs cards via the usb. then I recaptured onto my desktop using the xdcam transfer. This took a long time (onto camera and then back off) but it worked. make sure you keep the bpav folder system as the ex-1 creates it. Then just treat it like a finniky sd card.

hope this helps.
Hilary

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:16:19 pm

I've been able to import BPAV from the desktop. I selected the Desktop as the Add device and it then found the BPAV.

You mentioned that you dragged 5 BPAV folders to your laptop. I can only assume you then put them in separate folder or one BPAV would overwrite another. Each BPAV should be in a separate folder and it is those folders, not the BPAV that must be pointed to with Add.

In other words
Create Folder
put BPAV in it
Create another Folder
put next BPAV in that
etc.

Use ADD command for each folder and XDCAM Transfer tool will fine each BPAV and the files within.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]