FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Firewire & Standard Def

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Cadieux
EX1 Firewire & Standard Def
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:20:43 pm

I just got off the phone with a tech support guy at B & H. He claims that you can set the EX1 to downconvert to an SD signal over the firewire. Not true correct?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Tony Robinson
Re: EX1 Firewire & Standard Def
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:23:25 pm

My experience says that is indeed NOT true. I can also find nothing in the manual about it.

Tony Robinson

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 25, 2008 at 11:10:28 pm

To get HDV from the EX1 you have to shoot in SP mode. I don't think that you can get SD (or DV) from the camera at all. Most editing systems will re conform anyhow.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Skip Brand
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:23:20 am

EX-1 manual. page 102. The component out/SDI can be set to out put a down-converted SD signal (including letter box or crop). I have tested via component cable to both DVCAM and BetaSP decks with no problem. No embedded audio. You must take that out the XLR's.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 26, 2008 at 1:45:02 pm

Understood Skip but to avoid filling up the card I was planning shooting in SP mode and then downloading through firewire to an HDV deck. Would the pictures be as good a quality as your suggestion? I can't yet edit the files otherwise I would of course shoot in HQ mode full res.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Feb 26, 2008 at 3:12:24 pm

Are you running Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Skip Brand
on Feb 26, 2008 at 3:24:08 pm

Sorry Michael, your last post said you didn't think you could get SD out of the camera at all so I chimed in with page 102. I believe the I-1394 port will only output HDV. To compare the quality to the SD component output to the I-1394 output is still apples and oranges tho, since the 1394 HDV is still an HD signal.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 26, 2008 at 6:32:44 pm

Thanks Skip, sorry I misled you, it seems that I will do better by recording and outputting HDV for the time being. No Aaron, I'm not on Premiere Pro but the marvellous Media 100, it's just that they are taking their time to sort XDCAM as they say they are finding it a complicated codec.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bernie van Velzen
on Feb 26, 2008 at 4:40:31 pm

Audio OUT of the XLR's on the EX1? Where are those located? :-S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]