FORUMS: list search recent posts

2/3 inch XDCAM HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
2/3 inch XDCAM HD
on Feb 25, 2008 at 8:33:17 am

When is the 2/3 inch chip XDCAM HD coming out... or have I missed it????

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: 2/3 inch XDCAM HD
on Feb 25, 2008 at 6:49:18 pm

Robin,

You haven't missed anything!

The PDW700 is still vapor-ware. Sony certainly will be showing it at NAB in a few months but firm delivery date is still unknown. I believe the best Sony will say is "after NAB", but with all new camera introductions, it always seems to take longer than e4xpected, with bugs revealed in early delivery and months before the backorders are fulfilled.

My best guess it that onesies will be vailable in the summer or early fall.

JS

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:24:32 am

Yes I wonder why delays as they already have the half inch camera up and running well for ages.Cant they just shove a bigger chip in with a blunt screw driver or the heel of a shoe?
Engineers building up the overtime is my guess.

Surely this camera is destined for world dominance for all things doco and corp?

Lack of SD I doubt is a problem for most buyers,as the whole idea is to upgarde to HD.I think more important is that it will be able to shoot all the P,s 23.98/29.98/25 will do fine.Even if this is an extra software option.

Return to posts index

Skip Brand
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:21:56 pm

Sony has a public showing of product scheduled for this Thursday here in Atlanta. Although the primary product shown is their new line of LCD monitors, the invitation says they will be showing the PDW-700 2/3 inch XDCAM HD and the PDW-HD 1500 XDCAM deck. I plan to attend so we shall see. Awfully disappointing that the camera will not switch to SD though.

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:29:13 pm

I talked to a Sony rep at an HD XDCAM 355 orientation and he said the the 700 may not ship with a 24p option!! At that point they just haven't decided yet. That was about 2 weeks ago.

He also said that the main design hold up is that the chip set alone was 30k until recently.

Beam me up. Kirk out.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 27, 2008 at 12:47:55 am

Thanks for the info.Maybe they mean a true 24p,rather than 23.98p which would effect only the people wanting to make film dubs ?
But if they dont have 23.98p that would be really mad though!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:13:08 pm

I just heard today from a second source close to Sony that the 700 will not have 24p.

Beam me up. Kirk out.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 28, 2008 at 10:36:18 pm

But is that true 24P or 23.98P?

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Feb 29, 2008 at 2:50:11 pm

Here's another busy thread elsewhere with some more tidbits on the subject: http://www.b-roll.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20051
Still, no solid answers yet on most of the questions...

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 1, 2008 at 1:33:23 am

Hi there

Many thanks for the link,I,ve signed up over there too.exactly what I was looking for,thanks.

The camera sounds great to me,and a good price too,and like the idea of the options,just pay for what you need.

The 1/2 inch does look good,but at the end of the day,for good or bad,for doco work for sure the production companies always want 2/3 inch camera,s.Maybe this is because the big guns like Discovery/Nat Geo etc make it a requirement I suspect.

But horses for courses as always.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]