FORUMS: list search recent posts

With a little help from my friends..

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Amador
With a little help from my friends..
on Feb 17, 2008 at 12:31:42 pm

Dear friends of the Cow, I'm back (hope you had enjoyed this holidays) and tomorrow I PICK MY EX-1!!!!
I intend to use my MBP for downloading and editing and I have some questions about the workflow. I've been reading the previous post but I want to clear out a couple of things (and since the last thread you've been playing a lot with your EXs).
- I can download through USB+SONY Transfer Software. The files gets .mov, ready to FC. If I download through the SS slot, do the files are not converted to .mov? Do they still .mp4? If so, is this a problem to edit-play?
- Do I need for any thing the Clip Browser software?
- Which is the best way to erase the SS card? Drag to the trash? ( I've read that re-formating make loose some setups).
- I go to install Leopard for the first time (then FC 6.0.2), Which QT is recommendable by now?
Thanks for taking care of this old man:-)

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: With a little help from my friends..
on Feb 17, 2008 at 3:08:20 pm

The EX1 records the clips within the BPAV file on the SxS card, what is within this BPAV file is .mp4 clips. I can call this the raw material. Your MBP has the PCI Express slot so you don't need the USB reader. You can copy the raw using your MBP to a external drive for backup and you can also copy (or not) these same files onto the MBP or just transfer the clips from the card using the XD Cam Transfer program, this will make new .mov files for use in FC. I believe you should always save the raw for archiving, if you ever need it transcoded to another codec you can copy the BPAV file back to the card and play the clips from the camera to generate a live video signal to be captured. I have found in extremely easy the give the files a job name and clip number from the camera and this will help you keep track of each project. You can also delete just the clips instead of reformatting the card so that the reader can display a name you can give the card. I like to know what card is in the reader and if you reformat the card the name is wiped off too.

As a side note you should avoid using the timecode setting for time of day or "CLOCK" as some people including myself have had issues, SONY will most likely have a firmware or software fix coming soon.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2008 at 5:09:25 pm

Good suggestions Michael.

Just to add and maybe clarify.

Clip Browser on Mac is just a copy tool. It can also split BPAV into smaller sizes. This is good if you want to backup 16GB card onto 2 DL-DVDs (8GB each). BTW Clip Browser on Windows also rewraps to MXF.

Transfer Tool is necessary to convert file to MOV that FCP can use.

One possible shoot workflow is use Clip Browser to copy and then immediately burn DL-DVD backup.

I like this for several reasons:
You now have optical disc backup.
You can give those to the client if they want to walk with something (or make an extra set for them). They can play on Windows or Mac with their own free copy of Clip Browser.
Having optical disc backup means you're protected if you accidently overwrite the BPAV folders with other BPAV folders.

The Clock time issue seems to be related to Drop Frame time code being flagged as Non Drop Frame. I'm also finding ALL Drop Frame time code coming from the EX1 has this problem.

I'm not sure if this has impact on PAL frame rates since all PAL time code is Non Drop Frame. It would be interesting to test.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Feb 17, 2008 at 5:36:04 pm

Re: post above. I'm a little confused about how one transfers from the SxS card to other media.
You've mentioned above use of the clip browser software to split the material and transfer it to DVD...
After my post, I tried a straight copy from the SxS card to my archive HD. During the transfer, I got a device removal warning (the card was no longer visible on the desktop) and the transfer stopped. Subsequently the computer required a restart to recognize the card. There was no kernal panic (see my post above) this time, though it took a long time to bring the computer back up and I had many permissions to repair.
My guess is there's something going on with the card reader driver.
If this workflow is going to work it needs to be ironclad reliable and simple for the client to deal with. It's already a hard sell, so it's got to work.
-M

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 18, 2008 at 12:58:35 am

Craig,
It would be nice to meet you off line.

mikepalmer61@gmail.com

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 18, 2008 at 1:48:48 pm

Good luck Rafael, I'm in the same boat, EX on the way, but I won't be pushing my luck with a simultaneous upgrade to Leopard.

Alan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 18, 2008 at 4:17:35 pm

Thanks everybody. I have the camera since a few hours ago and seems to work fine. Y tried the Clip Browsing software and the Transfer application. Still many things to try.
Just one more question: I have formated the SS card with he Disk Utility (MS-2) but the camera didn't accept the format. On formating with the camera I lost the name that I had assigned to the SS card. How should I format and name the SS cards?
Thanks again for your patient.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2008 at 4:34:27 pm

The cards are FAT32 formated but must be formated from the camera as there's other stuff happening as part of the format.

As you've found out, formating the cards (even from the camera) will lose the name you've given the card. Once formated, the better way to go is to use the delete all clips command.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 18, 2008 at 4:59:12 pm

Thanks for the answer Craig. So no way to name the cards? That's silly, isn't it?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2008 at 5:28:56 pm

[Rafael Amador] "So no way to name the cards?"
Huh? Just name the card on the desktop or even in the Sony Transfer Tool. Use Delete All Clips and the name will stay forever.

User FORMAT - lose the name. Try that with your hard drive. Same thing. Delete clips. Don't reformat.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 18, 2008 at 6:06:12 pm

Now I've got it. Thanks again Graig (I guess i will have a lot question the next few days. Well , month..)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]