FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does XDCAM EX play with XDCAM EX in Final Cut?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Kudell
How does XDCAM EX play with XDCAM EX in Final Cut?
on Feb 14, 2008 at 11:45:25 pm

Since EX is 1920x1080 (HQ) and XDCAM EX is 1440x1080, and they have different settings in Final Cut, is there reduced performance in the timeline when mixing the two?

Any idea whether the new 2/3" XDCAM HD will feature the 1920x1080 codec that EX uses?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: How does XDCAM EX play with XDCAM EX in Final Cut?
on Feb 15, 2008 at 12:37:35 am

[David Kudell] "Since EX is 1920x1080 (HQ) and XDCAM EX is 1440x1080, and they have different settings in Final Cut, is there reduced performance in the timeline when mixing the two?"

You can mix the two different formats in the timeline and there's no reduction in performance that I've noticed, basically because they both use the same EX codec. Depending on what your sequence settings are, dropping the other format into it will automatically be resized by FCP.

Remember too, that a lot of people are editing EX footage with both 1080 and 720 in the same sequence if they have overcrank (60fps) footage, which can only be done in 720 mode.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Kudell
on Feb 15, 2008 at 6:18:49 pm

Sounds like it works pretty well. Though the reason I asked is that I tend to drop frames playing my overcrank 720p footage in a 1080i project, so I have been considering converting the 720 stuff to 1080 before editing.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 15, 2008 at 6:58:20 pm

Just to clarify, I've never tried to drop a 720p clip into a 1080i sequence because I don't shoot interlaced at all. Perhaps that's why you're dropping frames because you have a combination of interlaced and progresive in the same timeline. I don't know how well FCP would deal with that as it tries to play that back unrendered but in real time.

If your 720 footage is restricted to progressive anyway, I'm curious as to why you don't shoot your regular speed fooatge in progressive as well to retain compatability between formats.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]