FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX - HDV Compatibility

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
EX - HDV Compatibility
on Feb 12, 2008 at 5:39:32 pm

I'm shooting something for a client that will be edited in FCP 5. If I shoot in the SP (HDV) mode, will the files transferred using the XDCAM software work in FCP 5, or do I need to capture the clips using the Firewire output of the camera?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX - HDV Compatibility
on Feb 12, 2008 at 7:09:13 pm

http://www.apple.com/support/releasenotes/en/Final_Cut_Pro_6.0_rn/
The XDCAM Transfer software requires Mac OS X 10.4 and QuickTime 7. In order to import clips using XDCAM Transfer, you will also need Final Cut Pro 5. We recommend that you use Apple's Software Update to ensure that your system is up to date, with:
MacOS X version 10.4.10 or higher (version 10.4.11 or higher is required for PDW-U1)
QuickTime version 7.2 or higher
Final Cut Pro version 5.1.4 or higher and the most recent Apple Pro Applications Update. (version 6.0.2 or higher is required for editing XDCAM EX clips.)
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_GB&contentId=...

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: EX - HDV Compatibility
on Feb 12, 2008 at 7:45:12 pm

The clips will be imported from the camera to a portable hard drive using FCP 6, so that is not a problem. My question has to do with whether the clips can then be edited on an FCP 5.1 system. Since EX files recorded in the Sp mode are supposed to be essentially the same as HDV, can the raw files be edited in FCP 5.1, or do I need to capture the video by way of the Firewire output of the camera?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Problem Solved
on Feb 12, 2008 at 10:05:25 pm

I think I just answered my own question, if anyone is interested. SP clips when brought in using XDCAM transfer use the HDV codec, so, theoretically, should be editable in FCP 5.1 without having to capture using firewire.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]