FORUMS: list search recent posts

?? DV down convert from EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Miles
?? DV down convert from EX1
on Feb 10, 2008 at 8:44:48 pm

Dear Cow Wisdom,
Is there a away toget ehEX1 to output a DV stream from the 1394 port as the HVRZ1u or other HDV cameras would?

I ask as, I would like to be able to use EX1 and make DV dubs for walk away clients as necessary. If not is there a recommended work-flow to get a DV stream from EX1 footage on a Mac platform with FCP 6 studio 2.

Anthony Miles
DP, editor

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
Re: ?? DV down convert from EX1
on Feb 10, 2008 at 8:59:25 pm

I have got it into my G5 via SDI cable component - fcp 6.2,I had my inputs set at DVpro50 Info in the manual. You will have to use the AV cable for the sound. You will have to go into the menue to change the outpot. I'm waiting for my intel macpro to come in to get the hd quality.
Peter

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on Feb 11, 2008 at 2:34:54 am

Thanks. I have tried advanced format conversion in compressor, takes about .5 realtime with no aliasing or frame control filtration. Gives The DV NTSC converted footage a little aliasing to my eye. Used XDCAM dropped into a DV NTSC timeline in FCP 6 and it seems to have similar results but is pretty much real-time. Used flicker filter and anti aliasing filters and get render-ville. Not practical for a client walk away shoot, where they are asking for DV. I can capture via HD-SDI to DV with Black Magic HD extreme and that may be a workable solution using down-convert on capture via Black Magic HD-SDI. This requires the Mac workstation and not the laptop however so it would not work when traveling. This would probably be a workable solution about 85% of the time. Unfortunately, I believe Black Magic does not ingest time-code via HD-SDI so if the TC was logged in the field the notes would be made with non matching timecode. Any ideas are welcome.

Anthony Miles
DP, editor

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Feb 11, 2008 at 7:51:25 am

Aloha,

Here's our twisted workflow. Capture and edit straight cuts in HD, then output and downconvert via Kona 3 SDI to SD deck. Recapture material as SD uncompressed and finish whatever effects etc we need. How backwards is that compared to old workflows?

Anyway, the AJA IoHD will allow you to capture to a Mac Pro Laptop. It's not cheap, but it works over Firewire 800 and does everything.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Feb 11, 2008 at 9:57:34 am

You could try one of these:
-Canopus ADVC-1000 A/D CONVERTER
-Datavideo DAC-5 DV to SDI Converter
-FOCUS MEDIACONVERTER MC-2E
None of these are cheap or very portable but they will make what you need.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 12, 2008 at 7:01:04 am

I believe that we can output the composite A/V signal with TC overlay to a DV field deck. I would try it right now but I'm in the LazyBoy with Chuee & LoverBoy (our Pugs). Tomorrow for sure.

Someone said recently that you can burn a DVD from the EX-1 clip browser with a TC overlay. We could try that too but it will be later this week.

Private:
FCp 6.0.2 is working very well. We have the Ahoy project cut to 10 minutes and it looks great.
We need to come shoot your bird. How's Wed eve sometime?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on Feb 13, 2008 at 2:55:12 am

Thanks for all the info. I am specifically asking as I really like the EX1 and would like to have it for my primary camera. I need to be ale to get DV dubs from time to time based on client demand for delivery.

Thanks to all.

Anthony Miles
DP, editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]