FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit Bay configuration help

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Filsinger
Edit Bay configuration help
on Feb 10, 2008 at 4:29:17 pm

I am in the planning stage of upgrading one of by edit bays. All bays are FCP Studio 2. We just received our Sony EX1 (fantastic) and are going to begin shooting all our commercial footage in HD and for the time being down converting. The TV stations here in Memphis still request Beta SP and sometimes we must capture from a client's Beta. After the camera purchase, etc., I have $5000.00 left to purchase the remaining components.
1. AJA or Blackmagic and which model?
2. A dedicated program monitor or an LCD computer monitor (Dell or Apple) which will address both needs?
3. Do I need field monitor or can I still use my SD Sony field monitor for a while?
4. A decent Matte Box suggestion within our budget?
5. I'm sure that I've forgotten something so anything else you can think of is appreciated.

By the way, we used the EX1 yesterday for the first time. We shot 12 testimonials for some TV spots we are going to produce. We shot everyone in front of a portable green screen and even shooting in 720p 30, the footage keys beautifully, but much better at 1080p. How can image quality get any better than this?

Thank you in advance.

Jonny Filsinger
Master Video Productions, Inc.
2832 Bartlett Rd.
Memphis, TN 38134
901-372-7012

Return to posts index

gary coler
Re: Edit Bay configuration help
on Feb 10, 2008 at 4:50:10 pm

i would take a good look at the velocity hd
gary coler

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Feb 10, 2008 at 8:45:45 pm

Aloha,

We have a Kona 3 and it works great. We can do analog conversions to SD by running them through a D-9 deck with SDI (sounds like you must have one of these too). However, if I was buying now, I'd spend the extra dollars and get the AJA IoHD as it does everything. The Kona LH is the cheapest, but it doesn't do upconversion and cross conversions. The Kona 3 does all this but no analog in. IoHD does all this plus has hardware acceleration for ProRes 422 capture and can be used with a laptop. It would be easy to move around your facility and you can take it into the studio with a laptop and capture SDI out of the EX for green screen work. Cost is 1500 LH, 2500 K3, 3200 IoHD.

As far as monitors, the Dell 27" is much better than the 24", you can adjust colors much better(we have both and a Apple Cinema 23 which is too expensive and doesn't have anything but DVI inputs). We run the component out of our Kona 3 to the component in of the Dell. Still it is not a broadcast monitor, so you might want to shell out for a good LCD. I think JVC makes a "relatively" inexpensive one. We have a JVC 19" HD CRT that is looped with our Dell so we can see both the true color and the big screen, but you would probably do best with a LCD monitor.

The LCD screen on the EX is better than your SD monitor I think, but you can try it.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 10, 2008 at 10:30:36 pm

AJA Kona LH will down convert for delivery needs and allow HD monitoring during the edit. If you want broadcast quality monitoring you should be shopping for such, Dell and ACD are not the same thing. If you are thinking about a field monitor and an edit monitor all in one then I would look at the JVC line. http://digitalproducer.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=1777... I have used this JVC monitor and it is really nice.
As far as your 5K budget is concerned you won't be outfitting the EX1 and finishing the edit bay with in budget. The Kona LH and the JVC will soak up the 5K and then some, but you will be working with real equipment and know what you really have while shooting and editing.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]