FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a circular polarizer with EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buck Forester
Using a circular polarizer with EX1
on Feb 10, 2008 at 4:58:54 am

I'm just about to purchase my EX1, which I will use almost exclusively for nature footage, which means I will be using a polarizer filter (and GND filters) quite a bit. I was reading on another forum where someone was having issues with color shifting when using a circular polarizer with the EX1 while panning. He had tried three different polarizers to make sure it wasn't a problem with one specific brand. I haven't read of this problem elsewhere, but I don't know if many people are shooting wilderness stuff with a polarizer. It's of serious concern for me due to the 'nature' of my shooting style.

Is anyone here using a circular polarizer and are you having any color shifting (magenta/cyan) problems when panning? I'm a photographer so I know about polarizers and the effect of the sun angles, etc., but color shifting? Hmmmm.

Return to posts index

ken hon
Re: Using a circular polarizer with EX1
on Feb 10, 2008 at 11:44:50 pm

Well, we haven't had much use for our polarizer lately as we've had 30-40 inches of rain in the month or so since we got our camera. However, early on we went over to Kona and I shot some test footage of blue water and surfers with a polarizer and didn't see any sort of color shift. I think We typically use a polarizer all the time, but it's been way to cloudy lately. And by the way, we just shot some helicopter footage using a Kenyon gyro and the camera was great. None of the rolling shutter hysteria that's going around the web.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 12, 2008 at 7:04:25 am

I called my pilot this week to ask if had a seat open on any flights and we're supposed to do one next Monday. We won't be using any type of stabilizer because I want a worse case scenario. It's a Bell Ranger so it shakes a bit (2 blades).

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Feb 12, 2008 at 6:34:15 pm

Aloha Steve,

We fly mostly in a Hughes 500, but it's so we can land on rough terrain (tails a lot higher). The camera worked great, but XDCAM still suffers a bit from the same data overload as HDV when flying low. The entire scene is in motion and it's a bit blurry, but not too bad.

I put our camera on a Fig Rig with a Kenyon Labs KS-8 mounted under the camera plate. I had to get a couple of longer bolts, but it works great. Just set the Fig Rig on your lap and fly. I tried suspending it from the door frame, but the gyro had much less effect that way. Just waiting for the varizoom controller now. The gyro and the FigRig ran about 4k, but it's been worth it. Not as good as a gyro platform but a couple orders of magnitude cheaper.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Monday on a chopper
on Mar 25, 2008 at 9:37:37 am

Hi Steve,
Next Monday I'm flying in a helicopter (I think a Russian one).
I will record with the EX-1 but I will end up in SD.
Any tip?
You think would be interesting to shoot in 720 instead of 1080?
And what about to rise the shutter speed?
Andale Steve, tell me something:-)

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 25, 2008 at 9:22:18 am

Hi Buck,
Please tell me about your experience with the Circular Polar filter.
I live in a tropical place. lot of forest, green and overclouded skies (in a few weeks time(.
ould bennefit the filter in those circunstances?
I've tried the Polar filter only in my PD-170 and for me was difficult to keep the filter in the correct position.
Any tip would be very much appreciated.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]