FORUMS: list search recent posts

Battery & File Management

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill @ UGA
Battery & File Management
on Feb 6, 2008 at 3:33:41 pm

Hello,

I am interested in how many of you manage your BP U30 batteries for this camera. Do you charge your battery 'til full, then turn off the BC U1 charger...or do you leave it charging indefinately until you're ready to shoot again?

In addition, how are you storing your video? Transfering from the SxS card to an external hard drive attached to your computer, and backing up elsewhere? We're not quite ready to buy a larger storage unit and I want a short-term method.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Battery & File Management
on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:13:24 pm

As far as a short-term solution to your file storage is concerned, one dual-layer DVD will hold the contents of an 8-gig SxS card.

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:29:19 pm

I have 2 16GB and 2 8GB Cards, so I've ruled out the dual layer DVD option, although I think it's a good one if you're using 8GB only. You can use the the Clip Browser software to split shot cards into more manageable segments (if you wanted to store a 16GB card on 2 dual layer DVDs). I've decided to go Blu-Ray, however, so that I don't have to deal with splitting cards.

Ultimately the best backup would probably be to a tape backup drive - these can hold TB of data, but they're really expensive.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Feb 7, 2008 at 12:56:25 am

Ben,

[Ben Insler] "Ultimately the best backup would probably be to a tape backup drive - these can hold TB of data, but they're really expensive."

Library data tape drives are really expensive, but single tape at a time LTO3 data drive units are around $2k (check out Dell Storage solutions), 400GB tape cartridges are around $40 each. You'd manage your data much like you would manage a cache of external hard drives, i.e., log into a searchable database, and they are nearly as fast as slow hard drives to write and read from. $10 cents/GB is the least expensive media around and the drives are a heck of a lot less than tape decks.

We've gotta do some IT, not legacy video thinking here.

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]