FORUMS: list search recent posts

Undercrank vs. "slow shutter"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
Undercrank vs. "slow shutter"
on Feb 4, 2008 at 11:26:42 pm

I understand "undercrank", but EX1 is said to have a "slow shutter" function. Slow shutter in still photography is obvious to me, but in video?

Once I shot at town motif at night with the Sony FX1. Wanting to get more light I used 1/25s as opposed to norma 1/50s. Exposure was OK but lights of cars were staggering, not smooth, so the clip was a failure.

Can anyone explain how this "slow shutter" works? Is it different than just use a longer exposure?

/Sverker

EX1 coming soon ...

Return to posts index

gary coler
Re: Undercrank vs. "slow shutter"
on Feb 5, 2008 at 12:36:14 am

the vortex media dvd covers that rather well. it is worth the investment.
gary

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:12:38 pm

The answer to your question lies in the difference between shutter speed and frame rate. Shutter speed is as you are used to, slow speeds allow more light but are subject to blurring any moving objects. High shutter speed stops motion, but, there is less light to expose with.

Now, frame rate is how many images you capture per second. If you capture images at, say, 24 fps and play them back at a different rate, you'll either speed up or slow down the apparent motion in the film. For example, if you play it back at 30 fps, it will appear to be 1.25 x faster. This is overcrank. If you play it back at 12 fps it will appear to move half as fast, aka slow-motion. This is undercrank.

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Mar 6, 2008 at 8:19:24 pm

Now I have got the camera and have tested it in various situations.

Seems that "Slow shutter" with various number of frames are essentially the same as longer shutter speeds, just called something different.

Blurring is very noticable, but since changes in the picture happens in long intervals, I really do not know when to use the function. Non-moving objects in poor light of course, but as soon as something is moving it really looks strange. Some people may have use for it.

Anyway, it is a great camera, and thanks for your answers.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Canon XH A1
iMac Intel
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]