FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flickering in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Sensui
Flickering in Final Cut Pro
on Feb 3, 2008 at 3:28:23 am

Has anyone seen this happen?

Import footage from the EX1 into FCP and, when reviewing the imported footage, see it fluctuate in exposure and color balance. It can be seen in the built-in waveform monitor and seen in the viewer.

Exposure fluctuates every 10 or 12 frames, and there's a shift in color balance as well, going between slightly green and slightly magenta.

Now here's the odd thing: Looking at the imported file in Quicktime, there's no flicker. And exporting the file to ProRes HQ, there's still no flicker.

So the flickering is entirely withing FCP.

I'm using version 6.0.2 and QT 7.4 on a MacBook Pro. I haven't had a chance to try it with a lower version of QT on my 2.5 GHz G5.

This won't kill my production process. But it is annoying.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Flickering in Final Cut Pro
on Feb 3, 2008 at 4:43:46 pm

Does it render out with a flicker?

It would be great to know what format was recorded, frame rate, transfer method, how FC recognizes the clips, what sequence settings you are using and any other info you could provide.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Feb 3, 2008 at 7:56:41 pm

The sequence settings match the media so there's no rendering involved. It's 1080p30. FCP sets the sequence to match when I dragged the clips into the sequence.

And when I exported to Apple ProRes HQ it looked fine without any flicker.

I'll have to check it out on my main system and see if it flickers when outputting through the Blackmagic Decklink card. Because that could be a problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 3, 2008 at 8:12:13 pm

"I'll have to check it out on my main system and see if it flickers when outputting through the Blackmagic Decklink card. Because that could be a problem."
This is what I meant by rendering, FCS2 or FC6 finally sets the sequence for the format of the first clip dropped on the timeline. You will need to render out or as you put it output to your final deliver and that is what I was asking about. Describing all of the details may help others and may help you find an answer.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Feb 4, 2008 at 10:42:15 pm

Running the same clips on my 2.5 GHz G5, with QT v7.3.0 there's no flickering.

Might be QT v7.4 that's causing the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]