FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Operating temperature

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
EX1 Operating temperature
on Jan 28, 2008 at 10:06:16 am

The specification says 0 - 40°C.

I think this is a rather small range. I sometimes want to work in lower temps than that.

So what happens at e.g. -5°C? Does it stop working completely or only slower? Is it of any advantage to use body-warmed batteries during the actual shots?

/Sverker

EX1 not yet arrived in Stockholm ...

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
Re: EX1 Operating temperature
on Jan 28, 2008 at 12:10:47 pm

I was making outdoor shooting with EX-1 in Helsinki yesterday. It was -7°C and camera worked perfectly! Only battery lifetime was ofcourse shorter, but that is perfectly normal.

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Jan 28, 2008 at 12:22:38 pm

Thanks for the info, Petteri.

So it is perhaps not so bad, after all.

Who has experieces of even colder situations?

/Sverker

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Jan 28, 2008 at 1:07:15 pm

I bet there will be no problems, because in generaly electronics tend to work better in cold than in warm, thats why cooling is so important to computers!
Mechanical parts do get stuck in cold, for example tape recorders. But in EX-1 the only mechanical part is lens, so it will work fine untill oil in lens mechanisms freeze. I would say it could happen somewhere in between -35°C to -40°C.
Climate warming seems to taken care of those temperatures at least what comes to Stockholm and Helsinki!

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jan 29, 2008 at 12:06:25 am

Maybe the next question is: at what temperature does the cameraman stop working? :-)

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:22:23 pm

Dean: "Maybe the next question is: at what temperature does the cameraman stop working? :-)"

If Sony´s own specification are irrelevant, then we have to rely on the users at this forum, don´t we?

Since Hawaii has a warm climate, and Finland a cold winter, I think that you guys are in for it.

Also waiting for canadians to check the camera in the cold.

Myself? - haven´t got the camera yet ...

Storage temperature is -20°C to 60°C. Could this indicate that the camera works down to 20°C?

(OT: Red One was recently successfully tested in -20°C)

/Sverker

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Jan 29, 2008 at 5:53:24 pm

"If Sony´s own specification are irrelevant, then we have to rely on the users at this forum, don´t we?"
That seems to be the case in many times, including this.
Just for the curiosity i checked the manuals of Sony PDF-150 and Panasonic AG-DVX100, both being in same price- and size range as EX1.
Both i know work fine at least to -20°C and in both manuals stand those magic numbers 0°C to 40°C !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]