FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 AutoFocus Pulse

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Adams
EX-1 AutoFocus Pulse
on Jan 28, 2008 at 4:21:18 am

I had the auto focus on and the camera pointed at a shipping label on a box when I noticed that there was what seemed like a pulse. The focus would seek and then rest for a beat and then seek again going in and out of focus with a regular tempo. Now I see this pulsing auto focus on everything when zoomed in and focused close. Anyone else seeing this?

Mark

http://www.rocketclips.com

Return to posts index

Michael Stevens
Re: EX-1 AutoFocus Pulse
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:58:23 am

Sounds like that is the focus assist. Don't use it. Keep that focus ring pulled back and use it right. AF and FA is not good on the EX1. You have peaking, expanded focus and a great viewfinder - you don't need anything else. One exception: If following moving object that is BIG and cover all of center screen then OK.

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jan 28, 2008 at 1:04:10 pm

Michael,

I have the "MF Assist" turned off in the menu. The focus ring is pushed forward in the MF/AF position and auto focus is selected on the lens barrel. I think this is the correct setup for auto focus. Does the AF on your EX-1 "pulse" when zoomed and focusing close? I'm watching live on an external monitor and it is disturbing. Are all EX-1 cameras doing this or is mine defective?

Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Stevens
on Jan 28, 2008 at 2:18:48 pm

I'll check later today. For now look at your macro settings.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:04:36 pm

AF on the EX1 seems to be a different beast then what many of us are used to.

I think its purpose is to track a moving object. Imagine people you're focused on walking past trees in front of them. A quick AF would bounce from person to trees to person again. EX1 AF, since it's slow, should hang with the person (obviously changing slightly).

If the camera is moving ever so slightly while pointing at the label it may be trying to "lead" the subject thinking it's a moving object.

I have to test this myself. Use camera on tripod with OIS off and see what happens.

Of course a fantasy would be a programable AF speed.

BTW I think Push Auto works different than some other cameras too. It doesn't stop when you release Push Auto. It'll hunt until it thinks its locked (sorta like Focus Assist). I need to double check this but this too is a bit of a pain.

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:12:17 pm

Craig,

On a tripod, OIS off and Macro off. The beast is "alive".

Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Stevens
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:17:19 pm

This is all true and one reason why most pros are saying just forget AF. The z1 auto focus buton was great but the EX1 is poor. The good news is that as I said before, except for tracking, you don't need AF with this camera. You have a good LCD, expanded focus, peaking and a fine firm real moving lens.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:28:16 pm

I can see a slow auto focus as a GOOD thing for tracking since you don't want it to bounce when objects on a different focal plane pass in front of the object you're tracking.

I do wish Push Auto worked properly though as a method to lock focus quickly when I need to move from object to object.

Although push Expand Focus and jiggle the the Focus ring can be plenty quick.

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:36:15 pm

Guys,

I want to know if my camera is acting like all EX1 cameras or do I have a defective unit.

Mark

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:54:09 pm

Mark,

Your auto focus performance is typical of all EX cameras. Mine does the same thing. There are numerous posts and complaints all over the net about this very issue.

- Don

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:24:50 pm

Don,

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info. I'll just brush up on my manual focus skills.

Mark

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:32:13 pm

I'm going to ask the Sony tech guy about the auto focus thing when I take my EX in for a back focus issue later this week (hopefully). If I get any additional info about how to use the EX auto focus to minimize the pumping I'll be sure to post back.

Now I'm wondering that if the back focus is out of whack would that affect how the auto focus performs.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]