MATT BOX
on Jan 27, 2008 at 2:20:30 pm

Which Matt box works best with the ex1?
thanks gary

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: MATT(e) BOX
on Jan 27, 2008 at 4:27:28 pm

There's one from Cavision that's designed specifically for the EX1. I don't know about other brands as I haven't done much research.

http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/4x5clampon/4x5BFI.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:52:03 am

A friend of ours has a Cavision mattebox for a DSR-500 and compared to our Chroziel, it's a bit lightweight in construction. I can understand a quality difference of there's a big gap in price but I don't know what the Cavision products sell for.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:45:36 pm

The Cavision piece is roughly 1/3 the price of the Chroziel box. If memory serves I paid around a grand for the 6x5.65 inch matte box which included the rods and base, the top flag and two side flags. The one I bought was initially for my XL2, so the EX matte box should be close in price.

- Don

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Feb 1, 2008 at 7:56:04 pm

The Matt box that comes with the camera prevents putting a UV protection filter on.
Try this company but make sure its deep enough to take screw on filters
http://www.zacuto.com/

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 2, 2008 at 7:27:17 pm

[Peter Hitchcock] "The Matt box that comes with the camera prevents putting a UV protection filter on."

Except if you've purchased the 77mm Tamron UV/protector filter, which does fit with the stock EX lens hood.

- Don

Return to posts index

Phillip Ebed
on Feb 2, 2008 at 9:44:28 pm

HI Don,I just got my EX1 Fri. eve.(WOW)
Where did you find the UV that fits it,I cant find it at
B H,and is it only that name brand that fits it?
Thanks
Phill.

PHILL.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 2, 2008 at 11:56:50 pm

Craig Seeman says he bought the B&W Clear Glass Protector filter and has also heard that the Hoya Pro1 Digital Clear also fits. There's nothing on my Tamron filter or on the filter box that has a part number other than stating that it's 77mm UV. When I ordered my EX I just asked my broadcast supplier to get me something and the Tamron filter is what they came up with.

- Don

Return to posts index

Phillip Ebed
on Feb 5, 2008 at 6:17:09 am

Is this something you have or tried?
Do think the Tiffen or other brands would work also?
Thanks

PHILL.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:00:59 am

[Phillip Ebed] "Is this something you have or tried?
Do think the Tiffen or other brands would work also?"

Well, like I said, the stock lens hood fits over the Tamron UV filter just fine and Craig says his B&W Clear Glass filter also fits. I can't speak to other brands other than to say that some filters are made thicker and won't fit. When ordering from any supplier just make sure they know what you're going to use it on.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bill @ UGA
Re: MATT BOX
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:14:18 pm

Hey, all

I, too, am looking for a matt box for this camera. Is the Cavision robust, a good alternative for the more expensive Chrosziel? I'll be the only person using this, so I can take good care of it, but I don't want to buy something that won't hold up. Your opinions are appreciated.

Bill

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: MATT BOX
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:10:52 am

I don't use my Cavision matte box on a day to day basis but it does seem to hold up well enough. It's basically just a high impact plastic piece with steel thread inserts for the various fittings. The support rods are carbon fiber and the base is aluminum. It's no Chrosziel, mind you, but it serves my needs. Just be aware that I'm describing the matte box I bought for an XL2 but the EX1 model will most likely be of similar construction.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]