FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Download via USB to G5

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Donnelly
EX1 Download via USB to G5
on Jan 26, 2008 at 1:54:52 pm

Just picked up a demo ex1 for the weekend, and I've just found out that the clip browser software is intel only. Is there any way for me to capture footage to a G5 other than SDI/firewire? If and when I purchase one I'll be getting an MBP as well, but I'd love to be able to capture this weekend without buying a new mac.

Thanks in advance,
-Sean Donnelly

Return to posts index

Andy Nagel
Re: EX1 Download via USB to G5
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:25:15 pm

Sean,
If the rental unit includes a USB cable, you should be able to download the free Sony EX Transfer plug-in for FCP, then connect the camera to G5 via USB and import directly into FCP. Elsewhere on this forum I've read of a way to transfer the HQ files to a folder on your drive directly, then import to NLE. If you shoot 25Mb/s HDV, the firewire connection should work, but won't for the HQ 35Mb/s video. I'd be currious to know what happens for you, as I have a PPC G5 as well and am struggling to decide if I have to upgrade the computer before buying the camera.

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Jan 26, 2008 at 9:04:12 pm

Turns out part of the problem I was having was an incompatible cable. It worked with an external HD, a card reader, and a cell phone, but not with the ex1. For some reason a lower grade cable worked just fine and I was able to use the XDCAM transfer utility, or just drag and drop to another disk.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:18:52 pm

See this Cow post with links

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]